Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I was just checking "Blue Man Group- Marshmallow Toss" and see it is no longer offered in the iTunes store.
Why do apps leave the store? Are some on a time restriction and if they don't sell a certain amount of units per month, or what have you, the store drops the app?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
AFAIK, they're pulled essentially for three reasons

- Apple pulls them because they violate a store rule, pressure from someone who presents a valid argument that they violate some legal protection, for arbitrary and capricious reasons only Apple knows, etc.

Apple might also at some point pull an app for failing to have met 3.0 compatibility, but I'm not certain that's going to happen or has happened.

- The developer themselves pull it for a variety of reasons (buggy, re-releasing with new name, commercial issues, legal issues, just don't want to support it anymore, etc).

I don't think apps get pulled (by Apple) because of poor performance -- once they're in, they're in.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Thanks. Good info. I appreciate it. The above app isn't the first of its kind to disappear.

I've had it happen before.
On a side note, too bad about Blue Man Group. It's actually a fun game although poorly received.

adster

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
I was trying to wonder about that myself.

I had the app [app]earthscape[/app] but recently i went to look it up and realized it had disappeared.I can't find any article as to why it's gone and the website still shows it listed as available. This was a few months ago, and it's still not in the store. I just crop it up to a big mystery.

EDIT: That's weird. not 2 days ago, when I was cleaning out my Apps it wasn't listen in the store, but as soon as I checked after making this post - it's there. What a weird world we live in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.