Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Why do I have to come to MacRumors to get information that I could get at Apple.com?

(No offense meant Falleron :) ), but maybe a better string would be: does anyone think that the combo drive will really boost sales significantly for the Powerbook? Sure, a CD Burner/DVD is really cool (really, REALLY cool), but many many Apple loyalists already have a powerbook who wanted it. I wish Apple would get their R+D team in shape so we dont have revisions available every month that we (the older powerbook users) will never be able to upgrade to. What Im saying is, Im not going to seel my "new" laptop to get a combo-drive one, so maybe Apple should think of ways to make these puppies upgradeable? Can you have them professionally upgraded?

On the other hand---isnt this the first Laptop with a combo drive, both Apple and PC? Correct me if Im wrong.

If Im right, I give Wintel laptops two months to catch up on the bandwagon.

fallt

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2001
Ireland
Is it just me...

Is it just me... or does anyone else who waited and waited and waited and waited for a Rev. B TiBook complete with combo drive, feel a little annoyed that Apple are releasing one a mere couple of months after the Rev. B upgrade?

I run a record label and the CD-burning capablities would have been perfect for me, but like a lot of others out there I also needed the ability to read/watch DVDs.

I wouldn't have minded as much if this mini, on-the-hush-hush upgrade had occured at the usual six-monthly product upgrade cycle, but finding out that what you really wanted is now available JUST after you got your new 667 MHz machine is more than a little irritating to say the least.

Come on Apple, we're your loyal, evangelising supporters. I spent the weekend convincing my 'forever a PC user' father-in-law that Apple was a much better choice for him (to the extent that he bought an iMac). Shafting us isn't maybe the best way to win supporters.

We're your future, it might be best not to forget that.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
agreenster, i assume you mean 'the first slot loading dvd/cd-rw' laptop? Tray loading laptops have had the combo drive for a few month now, at least (not least of which, the ibook).

I'm just glad i got my powebook when apple were offering the free firewire cd writer. It would be nice to be able to upgrade the optical drive in this thing, but failing that i'll settle for lugging a peripheral around.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
The iBook has had a combo drives for some months now!! The reason Apple has only just put in the drive into the Powerbooks is because they could not find a slot loading drive that would fit the enclosure! Now they can!

I agree that they should have included this drive into the rev B, but the drive did not exist then + people were screaming at apple for a new portable. What could they do?

fallt

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2001
Ireland
What could they do?

They could be a little more honest and hold on for the extra month/two till the drives were available.

Don't tell me Apple didn't know that a ComboDrive wasn't possible when they released the Rev. B TiBooks. This is not some super-cheap run-of-the-mill piece of equipment.

I don't doubt that a great deal of 'loyal supporters' who bought this Rev. B model had saved their pennies/cents for months and months and months (and months) for this.

To find out six weeks later that this laptop was nothing more than a stop-gap model till the 'Rev. C's we aren't calling Rev. C's' top-of-the-line ones came out is a little frustrating to say the least.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Yeah

I was wrong. I forgot about the iBooks. (easy to do when you have a powerbook) But hey--the iBooks are still really awesome portables.

But yeah, Im kinda pissed about Apple releasing "B.1." I think they would have had higher customer satisfaction if they would have waited to realease with the combo. BUT, Im sure if they hadnt released the second-gen powerbooks when they did, we would be just as pissed about having to wait so long. And they really cant tell the consumer (Hey guys, wait two months and we'll have combo drives for ya." Sales would have gone through the floor. So, maybe what they did was the best for both worlds.

Personally, I have a CD Burner (external, firewire) and the only times I ever use it is when friends bug me to burn CD's for them. So maybe its a good thing I dont have it built in. Then my "Oops! I forgot my CD Burner at home" excuse wouldnt work so well......

MattB

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
YES!!!!!

Finally the perfect laptop!!! Now, where'd I put that check book?!?!?

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Well,

at least there is ONE Apple user who hasnt already bought the PowerBook.

Lucky Bastard.

:)

forgiven

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2001
this is great...but when will they finally put a superdrive in a PB G4...that's what Im waiting for...

also, how bout a TiPB 1 GHZ at MWSF??? is that possible?...this new update before MWSF makes it seem like they aren't going to update the processor anytime soon.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
this site

I know that rumor sites aren't always the best place to take information on upcoming hardware seriously, but I've found most information from this site in the past year to be the most informative. Although not always accurate, it does come very close in most cases.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
?

Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see.
I think we're pushin the powerbook just a bit. Let the iMac catch up. Its still a CRT monitor for crying out loud.

I know people would like to see a 1gHz powerbook, but I'd like to see a holographic human personal computer that I can talk to, have it do all my work for me, be a size 36 24 36, and rub my feet, but thats not going to happen either.

Technology is a wild ride, and you just have to buy when you can because there will ALWAYS be something new and better. The trick is to get good use out of the systems you have, and be happy for a while.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
PS

I just think the british people like it when us Americans just say "bastard." But you have to say it right...

Baaaaaaaastad.

he he

bobelmore

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2001
Minneapolis
Is it time to buy?

I have also been waiting to buy a PB, and now seems to be the time. Do you think there will be any new PB announced at MacWorld? I would like to buy before the end of the year (for tax purposes) but I am hesitant to do anything before MacWorld.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
?

was the delayed release of a slot loading combo drive due to the incredible thinness of the tibook's body?

the ibook is considerably thicker than the tibook and it was weird to see the ibook with a combo drive before the tibook so i won't be suprised if one day soon the consumer level machines have a faster G3 than the G4s which are in the professional models...all this assuming apple does not come out with the much awaited G5 in three weeks

forgiven

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2001
Do you notice how Apple set up the pB prices? It is considerably less for a 550 than a 667...but FCP 3 only supports Real time effects with the 667...that is a turn-off!

That's why I'm holding out till MWSF to buy..among other reasons.

MattB

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
Re: ?

Originally posted by jefhatfield
was the delayed release of a slot loading combo drive due to the incredible thinness of the tibook's body?

the ibook is considerably thicker than the tibook and it was weird to see the ibook with a combo drive before the tibook so i won't be suprised if one day soon the consumer level machines have a faster G3 than the G4s which are in the professional models...all this assuming apple does not come out with the much awaited G5 in three weeks

I believe the delay was simply for the fact that Apple couldn't find a SLOT-LOADING Combo unit. The iBook has had a tray version for quite sometime now.

Classic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
Originally posted by forgiven
Do you notice how Apple set up the pB prices? It is considerably less for a 550 than a 667...but FCP 3 only supports Real time effects with the 667...that is a turn-off!

That's why I'm holding out till MWSF to buy..among other reasons.

From the Apple FCP Site

500 MHz or faster single or dual processor Power Mac G4 or PowerBook G4 required for G4 real-time effects. 667-MHz PowerBook G4 required for mobile G4 real-time effects in DV format.

So, I think that means that a 550 MHz G4 PowerBook can do real-time effects in their Offline RT format, but that 667 MHz is required to do it in DV format?

Bummer. You're essentially paying $500 for the faster processor and cache. The RAM and hard drive make up for the other $200.

From Macnn.com
Apple has increased the cost of the standard 550-MHz configuration (256MB/20GB) to $2,299, while keeping the price on its high-end retail 667-MHz PowerBook G4 (512MB/30GB/AirPort Card) at $2,999.

So, actually, the price differential between the 550 and the 667 is closer than it was before.

[Edited by Classic on 12-17-2001 at 02:59 PM]

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
I have an indigo iBook and need a powerbook to match my Quicksilver. But I'll think i'll wait until rev. D comes out then I'll get a rev. C for a reduced price (unless, the rev. D is soooooooo into the future, then I might consider). I think the iBooks are nice, but the new screen hinge is waaayy to flimsy!

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Ok, something annoying I have found!!

The apple store in the UK has the picture of the combo drive powerbook! However, you go into the store and find that its still the old spec (no combo drive powerbook)! How annoying!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.