Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hehe299792458

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
I'd like to have a local backup of my iDisk in addition to the sparse image - perhaps a nightly backup of iDisk. What is the easiest way of doing this? Thanks!

edit: if a moderator could please fix the title (i.e. there's supposed to be an "up" in there), that'd be greatly appreciated

hehe299792458

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
I backup my iDisk every night using SuperDuper to a partition of an external FW drive. You could also do this locally. It's not that I don't trust Apple / MobileMe with all of my hard work, but... ;)

Carbon copy cloner (good app and free): http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

SuperDuper (the best there is):
http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Thanks! I'm using SuperDuper, and so far, it's been great. However, being a long time Acronis user, I can't seem to understand what I should select if I want "incremental" backups, that is, making a first "full" backup, and then making "incremental" backups on top of that. That way, I'm able to revert back to any date I won't, and won't take as much space as make a series of "full" backups.

Is there any way to do this in SuperDuper?

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
Thanks! I'm using SuperDuper, and so far, it's been great. However, being a long time Acronis user, I can't seem to understand what I should select if I want "incremental" backups, that is, making a first "full" backup, and then making "incremental" backups on top of that. That way, I'm able to revert back to any date I won't, and won't take as much space as make a series of "full" backups.

Is there any way to do this in SuperDuper?

SuperDuper doesn't work that way if you use the "smart backup" option. It will only copy "changes" made to your iDisk since the last backup. It doesn't copy the whole iDisk at each backup... Basically, you would only be able to revert to the last backup (unless you use time machine).

* Note this smart update only works with the paid version. The free version does complete backups and will take longer. If you have say 5-6 GB on your iDisk the free version may take 5 min or so where as the paid version could do it in seconds using smart update...

BASIC STEPS - Launch SuperDuper and select your Copy (source, in your case your iDisk) then select To (destination, where you are copying your iDisk to) then choose options and select "smart update".

** My system works well if you "turn on" local iDisk sync - ONLY, not the iDisk sparse image...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.