Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
I read a lot of estimates about how many songs may have been sold in the first day, or the first week of iTMS Europe.

Well, as a German resident and shopper on iTMS, I may have a hint: The invoice numbers! :D
My first invoice was on launch day, 5:08 pm... order number 136.
Later the same day, 6:42 pm: order number 2624.

Yesterday I bought again a few songs. Order number: 449683 (!!)

Since those are the orders, and maybe someone buys just one song, and another buys maybe one album, we may average on 6 songs per order. This would mean that Apple sold about 500,000 *6 (estimate) songs.

How would we like that? :D
3 Million songs sold in the starting week of iTunes Europe?? :D

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Could be a good estimate, as I bought 17 songs in three turns. But if I hadn't bought one album, it would have just been three songs. But even 500,000 songs in a week wouldn't be too bad.

What were the sales numbers when the iTMS became available for Windows users? I think if we reach one half of this, it would be a big success.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
mikeyredk said:
you forget that you get invoices for free songs you dl, so it will be much less
There are no free song offers in the EU Music Stores. There are also no free codes to redeem and so on, so I guess it has all been purchases. Pretty sure of that.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Savage Henry said:
Man, if those numbers are true, I under estimated by half.

If the current invoices in the US store around 85000000 then perhaps you've hit it on the head for the closest approximation.
Of course the invoice numbers are not that obvious :p
For example, the EU store invoices started obviously at M1000001.
They are now at M145xxxx. The US store numbers may be now at Pxxxxx or something ;)

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Stike said:
They are now at M145xxxx. The US store numbers may be now at Pxxxxx or something ;)

Well, my last U.S. store invoice number was M15123862, so either it's more complicated than what you're indicating here, or you've got EU and US mixed up.

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
Stike said:

Yeah but it was fun guessing. From a psychological I kinda liked the idea that Apple put in a painfully obvious indicator that everyone overlooked, playing us for the saps we are!! ;)

Ho hum.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
wordmunger said:
Well, my last U.S. store invoice number was M15123862, so either it's more complicated than what you're indicating here, or you've got EU and US mixed up.
Maybe Apple trick us and the numbers repeat ;) :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.