PDA

View Full Version : iBook external screen resolution (with hack)

ShaggyLR
Jun 22, 2004, 10:41 AM
I am looking into getting a non-Apple CRT screen to hook up to my 12" iBook. Once I install the "mirroring override Hack", while I be able to get high resolutions with the 32meg Video card? And will it really slow things down as it is used to maxing out at 1024x768?

Also, does this hack end my warranty on the iBook? Even though it's sofware and not hardware being added?

Thanks in advance.

kewpid
Jun 22, 2004, 11:03 AM
The maximum resolution will be 1024x768 on the external monitor, and the video memory will be split evenly between your ibook and external screens (ie 16MB each)

Depending on the number of windows you have open, Exposť can start to get choppy.

The hack will void your warranty :(

ShaggyLR
Jun 22, 2004, 11:07 AM
If I were to buy a 17" screen, even with the Hack installed I would still be limited to 1024x768? Then what does the hack do?

Finiksa
Jun 22, 2004, 08:27 PM
The hack will NOT void your warranty. It only alters an open-firmware value that can easily be reset by clearing the PRAM.

I'm not sure what exact resolution you'll be able to get on the external display but you'll definitely be able to go higher than 1024x768.

The performance should be pretty good, but since Quartz Extreme needs a minimum 16MB per display you'll probably take a bit of a performance hit.

brap
Jun 22, 2004, 08:38 PM
The hack will NOT void your warranty. It only alters an open-firmware value that can easily be reset by clearing the PRAM.
I'm not sure what exact resolution you'll be able to get on the external display but you'll definitely be able to go higher than 1024x768.
The performance should be pretty good, but since Quartz Extreme needs a minimum 16MB per display you'll probably take a bit of a performance hit.
You don't even need to reset PRAM. There is a function in the app to undo all the changes it has made, at any time.
I had both my G3 and G4 iBooks running at 1600*1200 on an external CRT without problems. Exposť wasn't at all choppy, either, on the G4. Go for it.

erise
Jun 22, 2004, 08:40 PM
I'm running the hack on my iBook G4 800 and a 17" LCD in spanning mode at 1280x1024 (since mirroring only can mirror at 1024x768). Quartz Extreme is noticeably choppier than without dual displays, but I can live with it. Works great!

Finiksa
Jun 22, 2004, 09:25 PM
You don't even need to reset PRAM. There is a function in the app to undo all the changes it has made, at any time.

Yeah I know I was just trying to point out that it doesn't make any kind of serious or permanent change, but you're right.

Mr Poop E Pantz
Jun 22, 2004, 10:02 PM
If I were to buy a 17" screen, even with the Hack installed I would still be limited to 1024x768? Then what does the hack do?

Even at 1024x768 you would then have 2048x768 of work space. It lets you have two displays.

userannon
Jun 23, 2004, 01:54 PM
With my 12' powerbook I am able to get the same resolution on my CRT as the laptop screen. I can go higher but, the screen on my CRT will shrink leaving empty space on the screen.

If I put the powerbook to sleep and connect an external CRT, it wakes up and then I can set the resolution to what ever I wish with only the CRT active.

What would the hack do differently?

brap
Jun 23, 2004, 02:32 PM
With my 12' powerbook ...
Nothing. It's designed for the iBooks, which have those external modes you use disabled by default.

(A twelve foot Powerbook? AWESOME!)

jxyama
Jun 23, 2004, 02:40 PM

iBook, by default, only let's you mirror on ext. displays. (i.e. you will see the same image on the ext. display as the iBook display.)

PB, by default, also allows dual monitors. (i.e. external will be like another desktop.) this hack lets iBook do the dual monitoring.

7on
Jun 23, 2004, 02:54 PM
With my 12' powerbook I am able to get the same resolution on my CRT as the laptop screen. I can go higher but, the screen on my CRT will shrink leaving empty space on the screen.

If I put the powerbook to sleep and connect an external CRT, it wakes up and then I can set the resolution to what ever I wish with only the CRT active.

Adjust the CRT width/height using the controls on the monitor itself if higher resolutions are leaving a black border around the picture. And if you're interested you don't have to sleep a book to get an external display recognized. What I do is in System Preferences>Displays (option + F1 on laptops) I set the "Show displays in menu bar" to checked. Then whenever I hook up another monitor I click the display icon in the menu bar and tell it to "Detect Displays." And i can also set the resolution there.