Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
I've noticed a new thing with my Canon 10D (which, is a fairly old camera) when I import my photos. There is a row at the bottom of the image (It changes depending on image rotation but it is always at the bottom of the camera) that seems to be an offset that wraps around the image.

I'm not sure what is causing this. The only thing I can think of is that there is an issue with the CCD, but I'm not sure. Any ideas on what could be causing this, and more importantly: can it be fixed?

This is what it looks like:

It runs the entire length of the image.
It's inside the green box, right next to the black.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
JPEG or raw or both? Before blaming the camera- I'd look at the software then the firmware. I've seen "interesting" artifacts from different raw converters, and even had three that were off a pixel against each other on the same image. If you're shooting raw, what are you using to convert?

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
JPEG or raw or both? Before blaming the camera- I'd look at the software then the firmware. I've seen "interesting" artifacts from different raw converters, and even had three that were off a pixel against each other on the same image. If you're shooting raw, what are you using to convert?

These are JPEGs, highest quality. It could be my computer but because the LCD on my camera is too small to see something like this there is no way to be sure. But what you suggest makes more sense, that it's an error in the software instead of hardware.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
These are JPEGs, highest quality. It could be my computer but because the LCD on my camera is too small to see something like this there is no way to be sure. But what you suggest makes more sense, that it's an error in the software instead of hardware.

Swap cards, shoot raw and convert and see if you have the same issues...

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
Swap cards, shoot raw and convert and see if you have the same issues...

Ok, I did some test shots in RAW and they don't have the shifted pixels. I also did some more shots in JPEG and it seems that the shift doesn't happen in every image, only some of them. And I don't see a pattern to which images are affected.

waiwai

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
Florida
i've had that happen to me twice while on a trip in random instances... but i was shooting RAWs no JPEGs... I think it just might be a hiccup with the image processing. I shoot with a D300. happened to me twice in 2 years, its random.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
i've had that happen to me twice while on a trip in random instances... but i was shooting RAWs no JPEGs... I think it just might be a hiccup with the image processing. I shoot with a D300. happened to me twice in 2 years, its random.

Normally I would dismiss it also but it seems to be happening more and more to the point where most of my pictures are affected.

waiwai

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
Florida
Normally I would dismiss it also but it seems to be happening more and more to the point where most of my pictures are affected.

if that is the case, then send it in for inspection... highly likely that there is something wrong the processing chip... Might be moisture in the cam... or something around that line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.