Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreeneyes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Gatineau,Canada
hi, whats a good RSS Feed app?
i need something that will sync to Google Reader.
and the app needs to be able to show the full news article and pictures

thanks

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
Another for Newsstand. I just purchased it today and I love it. Very polished, a lot of options, 2 way google syncing, instapaper syncing, etc.

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
I love Manifesto. It is simple and to the point, looks nice, and syncs with Google Reader.

In my opinion, it's easily the best.

I use this too, but it has 2 annoying bugs.

Sometimes you click a "read more" link in an article (Engadget for example) and it goes to the webpage fulled zoomed in and you can't zoom out. Work around is to hit the button on the bottom right.

Second some links just won't open at all, I follow a few people on twitter and if they have a link to a pic or video, I click it and nothing happens.

adamfishercox

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
NetNewsWire is the best I've found, but the Google Reader syncing version isn't out yet (they're switching from NewsGator, have done so on the Mac, but not the iPhone yet.) I'd keep an eye on it.

odelay

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
I used the original version of Gazette for a while initially before switching to Byline, which I was fairly happy with. But then the new version 2 of Gazette came out which was much quicker and a nicer interface than Byline imo. But then omz:software came out with Newsstand 2.0 with true 2-way Google Reader syncing, and this along with a fantastic new interface won me over, and I'm now using that. I'm keeping an eye on NetNewsWire as I use it on my Mac, and am interested how this will pan out, but Newsstand is going to take some beating. It's way ahead of the competition now imo, with the only negative being sync speed - it's quite a bit slower than Gazette 2.0, but all the other features make up for this, and it's one of those apps that's simply a joy to use.

honeytoast

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2004
bay area, CA
Another vote for Newsstand. The recent update brought me back from Manifesto. Newsstand does 2-way Google Reader sync and the interface is by far the best. You can store an email address and twitter, instapaper and delicious library logins for easily sending articles. The in-app browser is much faster than Manifesto also. Highly recommended.

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
Another vote for Newsstand. The recent update brought me back from Manifesto. Newsstand does 2-way Google Reader sync and the interface is by far the best. You can store an email address and twitter, instapaper and delicious library logins for easily sending articles. The in-app browser is much faster than Manifesto also. Highly recommended.

Bought Newsstand yesterday. Very happy with it.

I'll also second the point of the in app brower. I know it's an extension of the built in Safari app, but it really seems faster to me.....

Fedorov

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I keep switching between all the RSS apps - used FEEDS for quite a while, then went back to ByLine but recently I've been using iNews for it's sheer speed and features, it's very configurable, always get fast email responses from the author. Seriously, it is just so fast even on the slowest cellular connection.

I also put Newsstand back on last night when I heard about the new v2.0 and I'm playing with that one again to see how I like it. Going to take a lot to push iNews off my iPhone front page though, still assessing :)

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Switched back to Newsstand from Byline. Now that Newsstand has 2 way syncing I prefer it much more than Byline. Byline and the google safari app were my favorites until Newsstand came out with this update.

A few items I like better in Newsstand (of course just my opinion):

Better overall UI

Uses renamed subscription titles. Byline does not. I have some folders where a renamed the subscriptions to A1, A2, etc. so they were not random. Byline does not use the renamed subscription titles.

Better folder/feed organization. Byline combines all feeds from all subscriptions in folder. Newsstand lets you read by subscription but you can also hit unread button for folder to read all unread articles for all subscriptions in a folder. Nice feature.

Preference for larger font.

Nice use of images.

Taping all read button takes you back up a level. Byline and google web app do not do this.

Keep unread articles (you can set preference for this).

And has a few other nice UI features.

Byline does let you save articles for reading when you are offline which is a nice feature but I never used this much. Byline is solid but Newsstand is excellent.

Davoo

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
Another vote for Newsstand. The new update is awesome and is by far the best RSS reader I have been able to find.

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
I love Newsstand... i've purchased it since it fist came out (Oct 2008). The app changed alot and now it's one of the best.

If your into news only, you should check out:

[app]News Addict[/app]
[app]Tech Addict[/app]

For $0.99, you don't need Google Reader if your only into reading news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.