Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Ok so I recently aquired an iBook G4 12 inch from a friend. The problem is that it gets stuck on the white loading screen indefinitely. Is this a hardware or a software issue? My guess is that it is the OS that has the problem.

By the way. I know none of the specs on this other than screen size. It is currently in the possession of my brother so I'll get it back in a couple of days. I have no clue what he is doing with it.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
First try to boot off of a Leopard or Tiger disc and see if you can get into the installer. If so, verify the disk, then go from there. Trying a OS reinstall is the first thing I would do since I don't want the previous owners data.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
The first thing to post is, is there a graphic that shows on the Apple Startup screen? (For example: Circle with line, Question Mark etc.)

Also, pop in the Mac OS X Install Disc and run a Disk Repair and Repair Permissions.

If it still does not work after that, pop in the Application Install Disc and run a hardware test.

If nothing, bring it into the Apple Store and have them take a look at it.

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Alright. Well basically my question is: Has anyone seen this before and is there a specific way to treat it. I was thinking along those lines, and I agree with you that is a good first step. I'll try that when I get it back.

Alright sure thing. I just wanted a bit more knowledge on this subject before I get it back and operate.

I shall have it soon.

And thanks I shall remember to take that course of action in my process of elimination.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.