Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silvia96

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Durham NC
Won't boot up past this screen, this is the first time this has happened. I am fairly certain it is related to an attempt to install SP3 (I had removed it in favor if SP2 to hopefully fix some wireless issues). I noticed when I shut it down last time that it was installing updates, which most certainly included SP3, and then I left the computer. Maybe the install failed? If so, how can I fix this? Any way around other than reverting to a backup? (I think the clone I have of it has SP3 on it) Any ideas for how to get past it?

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Won't boot up past this screen, this is the first time this has happened. I am fairly certain it is related to an attempt to install SP3 (I had removed it in favor if SP2 to hopefully fix some wireless issues). I noticed when I shut it down last time that it was installing updates, which most certainly included SP3, and then I left the computer. Maybe the install failed? If so, how can I fix this? Any way around other than reverting to a backup? (I think the clone I have of it has SP3 on it) Any ideas for how to get past it?

Can you boot in safe mode (press and hold F8)?

Silvia96

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Durham NC
Thanks for the help, I originally looked at that page for help, but I'm not able to enter any commands due to the fact that it won't boot. Looks like reverting to the backup is my only choice.

Silvia96

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Durham NC
Well, after multiple attempts to resolve the issue with no success, I ended up reverting to an old backup and losing some files. That's the way it goes sometimes! Good thing I at least had the backup. Thanks for the help!

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
im having a similar problem, except when i try to load windows in parallels (from the boot camp partition), it works perfectly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.