Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkSilver2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Wisconsin
I am curious to know if anyone has ever played Castle Dark (I think that was the name) and/or The Thirteenth Guest. Both were on an old Apple from 1986, yet were still excellent. On a side note, does anyone have working copies of either of these two?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I played Dark Castle - it was excellent. I doubt I have a working copy of it around anywhere, though. Sorry!

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR

Attachments

• darkc.jpg
    darkc.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 334

DarkSilver2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Wisconsin
I'm currently away from my mac :rolleyes: , but I don't recognize the file's format. Do you need any special program to open .hqx?

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
DarkSilver2 said:
I'm currently away from my mac :rolleyes: , but I don't recognize the file's format. Do you need any special program to open .hqx?

stuffit, and after you extract the hqx file there will be a sea file that you have to extract with stuffit as well.

Personally I ran the game in vMac, on 6.0 with a Plus Rom, not sure if that is the game your looking for but 1986 would fit around the time you want. I personally was only 2 at the time ;)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
DarkSilver2 said:

You shouldn't - any Mac capable of running the game should have the software to decode the .hqx file - for example, Stiffit will extract it.

Sadly, although I can extract it, it won't run on my G5. Or probably any OS X Mac. Likely it won't run post System 7. Perhaps someone could verify?

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
jsw said:
Sadly, although I can extract it, it won't run on my G5. Or probably any OS X Mac. Likely it won't run post System 7. Perhaps someone could verify?

Yeah i'll try to get a system 7 disk to emulate it.. currently under 6 with vmac the keys aren't working in the game -_- :(, anyway.

DarkSilver2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Wisconsin
Benjamin, I searched the site where the game came from a little more thoroughly, and it says that it is supposed to run in OS 6. You had mentioned running it in vMac (which I'm guessing is an emulator?). If you did get it running in vMac, where do you get that (and is it compatible with OS X)?

By the way, you are the MAN! I haven't seen a few of those games in over five years.

Note: To comment on your being 2 in 1986, I was born in that year. The computer, however, worked like a true Mac, meaning it kept running through my entire childhood, and was more stable in 1996 than the 1995 IBM we'd bought the year before. It finally burned out (we think something melted) in 1998.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
DarkSilver2 said:
Benjamin, I searched the site where the game came from a little more thoroughly, and it says that it is supposed to run in OS 6. You had mentioned running it in vMac (which I'm guessing is an emulator?). If you did get it running in vMac, where do you get that (and is it compatible with OS X)?

By the way, you are the MAN! I haven't seen a few of those games in over five years.

Note: To comment on your being 2 in 1986, I was born in that year. The computer, however, worked like a true Mac, meaning it kept running through my entire childhood, and was more stable in 1996 than the 1995 IBM we'd bought the year before. It finally burned out (we think something melted) in 1998.

Yeah sorry i was going to edit and list the site, Anyway vMac is an emulator as you guessed, I have used it to play with photoshop betas (before 1) and other things, older games, and etc. You can find it here http://www.emulation.net/macintosh/ however, as i said in the post before yours, it seems i can personally run the game and get it to run such as the screenshot but however when I goto play it won't let me use my KB, lol. It could be a rom thing or it could be the emulator. Idk.

Oh 1986 hehe, nice, yeah infact I have the same sorta linage with the SE which was in my family for a long time. :)

**** I LIE ****
(actually i just don't know how to play the game)

Keys work fine. :)

DarkSilver2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Wisconsin
Thanks a lot for the help. Now if I can just find a copy of The Thirteenth Guest....

Actually, has anyone else every played the game? I searched for it on Google and came up empty-handed.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
DarkSilver2 said:
Thanks a lot for the help. Now if I can just find a copy of The Thirteenth Guest....

Actually, has anyone else every played the game? I searched for it on Google and came up empty-handed.

I played that when I was little...don't remember it so well but remember it was fun. Like a haunted house / house of usher kinda vibe, right? But I couldn't find a lotta references to it on the web. :(

DarkSilver2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Wisconsin
Yeah, it was kind of a haunted house feel. You went from room to room by using arrows, and everything was point and click. I was too young to really get too far into it, but my dad had played it for a while, and it seemed REALLY deep.

By the way, what is 'house of usher'? :confused:

DarkSilver2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Wisconsin
That is good to know. I couldn't figure out how the house of a black pop / hip-hop star had anything to do with this topic.

spectacle

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2007
please help

now on XP...and soooo close to my favorite game ever... Dark Castle.... I'm trying really hard to get the game working and give it to my best friend turning 30, just for old times sake. We have literally spent a month on end trying to crack this...Those were the days...

Running minivmac, vmac.rom. have succesfully made a disk out of the sea.hqx file. It'won't run under the system 7.01 and the disk itself (which contains a system and finder) is not accepted. What am I doing wrong? Could a fellow windows user please provide me with a dsk file for minivmac or help me out? I (and my friend) would be so grateful!!

Thank you so much!!!

Andries

vanderleij * gmail * com (replace * with @/.)

PS...another game pops to my mind, I can't remember the title. It was a sort of adventure game where you wake up with no memory in a toilet boot, with a gun and the police chasing you and you had to figure out who you were and what happened...anyone knows what this is called?

fairnymph

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Chapel Hill, NC
I played The Thirteenth Guest, except my game was buggy and I couldn't get very far.

Anyone play Glyph (I believe that's what it was called)? It was this Ancient Egyptian themed game and you were a bird and had to fight other birds and prevent evil eggs from hatching...

spectacle

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2007
Got it...

Someone helped me out...so now I can play Dark Castle and Beyond DC again on my MinivMac emulated system 6 mac. I must say though, I'm tempted to go to my fathers place and play the game on his macplus. That computer still works great...

Anyone interested in the .dsk image just let me know

Oh yeah...that adventure game I mentioned earlier...with the guy who woke up in a toilet boot. Does anyone know the title?

headhammer

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
i believe a company called zsculpt now owns the rights to the dark castle series. they've actually made a third, which includes all the levels from the first and second ones, their rendition of the third, _and_ a level editor. sadly, it's been in the pipeline for a while, but it's looking (hopefully) like it'll be released shortly.

oh, and it's a universal binary app :D

i have been waiting. and waiting. and. waiting. for this one to come out.

http://www.zsculpt.com/website/news/index.php
http://www.zsculpt.com/website/games/darkcastle3/

Tuco

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2007
Oh yeah...that adventure game I mentioned earlier...with the guy who woke up in a toilet boot. Does anyone know the title?

The game you're thinking of is "Déja Vu". Similar game was "Uninvited" but dealt with the undead and mystical monster in a mansion. Good games :)

I've been trying to get Dark Castle to run on Windows XP myself but as far as I can get is just to load up the emulator with a ROM thingie and then just stare at the gray screen with the little disk and the blinking question mark.

If you can give me tips, tricks and/or links it be much appriciated, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.