Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Associated Press reports that China Unicom is denying that it has reached an agreement with Apple to purchase five million iPhones for release in China.
"Talks between us and Apple have been going on for some time, but no agreement has been reached yet," said Unicom spokesman Yi Difei. "There are all kinds of possibilities.There is no particular timetable for the talks."
Reports of the agreement apparently originated from Yu Zhaonan, a sales manager for China Unicom's subsidiary in Guangdong Province, who was unavailable for comment on the company spokesman's denial. A spokesman for Unicom Guangdong, however, claimed to have no knowledge of an agreement and referred additional questions to China Unicom's central offices.

Article Link: China Unicom Denies Reports of iPhone Deal

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Reports of the agreement apparently originated from Yu Zhaonan, a sales manager for China Unicom's subsidiary in Guangdong Province, who was unavailable for comment on the company spokesman's denial.

Unavailable, or silenced? Triad style.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Oh well. A lot of the people in China who want an iPhone have already managed to get their hands on one from Hong Kong.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
I will be looking forward to a story in the future, from China Unicom and Apple, saying that they have finally reached a deal. It needs to happen. I hope they continue to negotiate and are able to arrive at an agreement sometime soon.

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
Surely this should be a front page story, it carries exactly the same significance as the story that it refers to.

this is a rumor site. so rumors get on the front page, news buried somewhere not to be found :D

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Oh ... like I'd believe anything a Chinese company said anyway ... Silly commies. Take your yuan from Apple and go learn how to lie, will ya? Cheap lessons available in Washington D.C. ... :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.