Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bonesone4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'm using mac the ripper to rip my dvd collection to my hard drive and want to try editing a mock trailer for one movie in particular.

What would be an ideal setting from within Handbrake to convert the source folder to something that's easily editable in Final Cut Pro? If I convert the source folders to Mp4 or ATV it'll be reeeeeally sluggish in FCP because it recognizes that the files are already compressed.

Thoughts?

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
The Handbrake folks don't recommend using HB for editing files, since you're going from a lossy format to another lossy format.

My understanding is that you're probably best off if you convert the file to something like DV and then import into FCP (or iMovie or whatever). I think I've seen MPEG Streamclip recommended for this:

http://www.squared5.com/

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
If the DVD is encoded with 480i footage, then use Streamclip to convert to DV. If its 480p, I'd say convert it to Apple Intermediate to preserve more of the quality.

Bonesone4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Rochester, NY
well it's an older standard DVD. E.T. to be exact. So you are saying instead of ripping it to the hard drive first, to load it up right into Streamclip and convert it to DV from there?

Bonesone4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Rochester, NY
The Handbrake folks don't recommend using HB for editing files, since you're going from a lossy format to another lossy format.

My understanding is that you're probably best off if you convert the file to something like DV and then import into FCP (or iMovie or whatever). I think I've seen MPEG Streamclip recommended for this:

http://www.squared5.com/

well it's an older standard DVD. E.T. to be exact. So you are saying instead of ripping it to the hard drive first, to load it up right into Streamclip and convert it to DV from there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.