PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Mac Benchmarkers/Reviewers...

Anticipat3
Jun 22, 2004, 04:09 PM
Hey boys and girls. After many months of frustration in trying to get a solid feel for which Macs are how fast, I've come to the conclusion that neither BareFeats, xlr8yourmac, or pure XBench results are sufficient for measuring the performance of modern Apple computers in real-world applications.

I've been a PC guy for many years, and It's always been very useful to me in my buying decisions to have a full suite of benchmarks for new hardware that comes out, directly compared against other hardware. I firmly believe that the Apple computer is missing out; we're not able to make informed decisions.

Thus, I post here looking for other folks who feel the same, and who would be willing to help me to create and maintain a Website featuring nothing but Mac hardware reviews and benchmarks. If the Folks from MacRumors/MacBytes/MacPolls are willing, I'd also like to make the site part of their "ring" of affiliated sites.

I run a network of Macs, so I very often have access to a lot of new and old apple hardware to benchmark. If anyone else has access to Macs to benchmark, or would like to contribute to this effort, please post!

Here's what I have in mind for a "full" benchmark suite:

-DVD Ripping Time (Good test of Optical drive/CPU)
-DVD Encoding time (with DVD2OneX or DVDRemaster)
-DivX Encoding time (With Forty-Two or Quicktime Pro)
-XBench Scores
-Warcraft 3 Benchmarks (Real-world OpenGL Test)
-Quake III Arena Benchmarks (More CPU-Limited Test)
-UT2004 Benchmarks (More GPU-Limited Test)
-Photoshop Benchmarks (Standard Fare for Macs)
-Startup time
-File copy on own internal drive (tests read, write)
-iTunes MP3 Encoding time (Pure CPU Test)
-Network performance (Unsure of a good test -- everyone has different routers and cables)
-Battery Life Max (no activity, dim screen)
-Battery Life Normal (office, mail, safari, iTunes)
-Battery Life Min (Looping Q3 Benchmarks)

I'd also like to see benchmarks run each time a new game comes out, for all machines we can get our hands on, for that game, at every available setting - Halo at 1024 Low, Med, High, etc etc.

I have Webservers and lots of bandwidth, but could also use folks with web design skills (and no, i don't mean just general skills -- I'm talking making a "blog" type posting mechanism that will work with RSS feeds, etc etc.)

Who wants to create the first great Mac hardware review site?

invaLPsion
Jun 22, 2004, 04:26 PM
Hey boys and girls. After many months of frustration in trying to get a solid feel for which Macs are how fast, I've come to the conclusion that neither BareFeats, xlr8yourmac, or pure XBench results are sufficient for measuring the performance of modern Apple computers in real-world applications.

I've been a PC guy for many years, and It's always been very useful to me in my buying decisions to have a full suite of benchmarks for new hardware that comes out, directly compared against other hardware. I firmly believe that the Apple computer is missing out; we're not able to make informed decisions.

Thus, I post here looking for other folks who feel the same, and who would be willing to help me to create and maintain a Website featuring nothing but Mac hardware reviews and benchmarks. If the Folks from MacRumors/MacBytes/MacPolls are willing, I'd also like to make the site part of their "ring" of affiliated sites.

I run a network of Macs, so I very often have access to a lot of new and old apple hardware to benchmark. If anyone else has access to Macs to benchmark, or would like to contribute to this effort, please post!

Here's what I have in mind for a "full" benchmark suite:

-DVD Ripping Time (Good test of Optical drive/CPU)
-DVD Encoding time (with DVD2OneX or DVDRemaster)
-DivX Encoding time (With Forty-Two or Quicktime Pro)
-XBench Scores
-Warcraft 3 Benchmarks (Real-world OpenGL Test)
-Quake III Arena Benchmarks (More CPU-Limited Test)
-UT2004 Benchmarks (More GPU-Limited Test)
-Photoshop Benchmarks (Standard Fare for Macs)
-Startup time
-File copy on own internal drive (tests read, write)
-iTunes MP3 Encoding time (Pure CPU Test)
-Network performance (Unsure of a good test -- everyone has different routers and cables)
-Battery Life Max (no activity, dim screen)
-Battery Life Normal (office, mail, safari, iTunes)
-Battery Life Min (Looping Q3 Benchmarks)

I'd also like to see benchmarks run each time a new game comes out, for all machines we can get our hands on, for that game, at every available setting - Halo at 1024 Low, Med, High, etc etc.

I have Webservers and lots of bandwidth, but could also use folks with web design skills (and no, i don't mean just general skills -- I'm talking making a "blog" type posting mechanism that will work with RSS feeds, etc etc.)

Who wants to create the first great Mac hardware review site?

Sounds awesome to me. I've got plenty of macs I'd be able to bechmark (though not all of them are mine.) (Powerbook 1.5GHz/128vram/80 gig 5400RPM/ 1 gig ram ; 1.6GHz Powermac G5 / 768 megs ram / FX5200 ; and the future baby listed below

Let me know how I can help.

Anticipat3
Jun 22, 2004, 11:35 PM
Just as long as you can get a hold of 'em long enough ;). Machines I have at my disposal include:

Dual 2.0 G5
1.8 G5
1.6 G5
Dual 1.25 G4 MDD
Powerbook 17" 1.33
Powerbook 15" 1.33 (well... as of thursday ;) )
Powerbook 15" 1.25
Powerbook 12" 867
Powerbook Ti 400
Powerbook G3 (Lombard)
iBook G3 800
iBook G4 800
iMac 1Ghz 15"
iMac 700
eMac 700
Dual 533 Sawtooth
400 Sawtooth

So I've got most of the bases covered... but It would be nice if I didn't have to run all the benchmarks myself!