Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chubby Cox

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2004
well, sort of...

here's the story:

i got a new cd, ripped it in itunes and updated my ipod, as i normally do. i unmount the ipod and, a few hours later, attempt to listen to it. however, the ipod did not register any songs on it (although when i went to settings>about, it showed that 16 gigs, the total size of my itunes library, were used). i hooked it back up to the computer (running windows xp, i also have the newest version of itunes and the ipod software) and itunes launched. however, instead of automatically updating like it normally does, it gave me a message saying that it could not communicate with the ipod and i would have to do a system restore. i did, then loaded itunes back up to get all my songs back on the ipod.
however, after about 4.5 gigs transferred to the ipod, itunes locked up and no more songs were transferred. the ipod wouldn't unmount and i had to reset it, which resulted in me having to do a system restore again. i then again tried to get my ipod library on there and the exact same thing happened. i treid a third time and it got up to about 6.5 gigs before my computer crashed completely- it reset itself, which, even for windows xp, is a very, very rare occurance. i then ran the hard disk scan on the ipod, but it came back showing no errors. so, i have absolutely no idea what the problem is. has anyone had any similar problems? fortuantely, it's still under warranty, so if i have to replace it it's no big deal, but i would still like to try to fix it myself if at all possible.

edgarj

macrumors newbie
same problem w/ 10GB 3G iPod

Mine hangs at 2.66GB during transfer and shows no HD flaws when a scan is performed. I'm sending it back to Apple today (just recieved the box). I hope they will fix it under Applecare, which is still in effect.

Johnn Edgar

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.