Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonenotify

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
First off let me say I have a first gen MacBook Air 1.6GHz with an 80GB HDD.

Ok, so basically my laptop got dropped in its case and I went to the Apple store and they said the HDD was broken, which was what I suspected. I took it out and shook it gently to see if it made any noises. It did not. So it may be temporarily fixable, I don't know. Anyway, now my Air just has the Folder icon with the question mark. I tried a remote install of Leopard, but seeing as the disk is broken, that did nothing. I wanted to run disk utility on my Air, but obviously I have no operating system so this cannot be done.

I was wondering if it was possible to put Leopard on an External drive using only Windows and the Install disk that came with the comp. That way I could boot from an external drive and see what I can do from there.

I also would like to know what options I have for a new drive, I searched around a little and figured that the best bet would be to buy a used 160GB iPod Classic for around $100, which uses the same drive.

Do you have any tips/advice/corrections for me? I would just like to get my laptop working again. Data recovery is my last priority.

Thanks a Bunch!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.