PDA

View Full Version : MB to 5.1 Surround System

SkipperStyle
Aug 15, 2009, 10:59 AM
I am looking into buying a 5.1 system for my macbook (alu late 08). Have had my eye on the logitech z5500, as those seem to have a pretty great reputation.

A wireless connection isn't necessary, as I will be using the speakers for music in my office with my laptop. What I am wondering about is the interface. I have only listened to music on this macbook through headphones, and have no idea regarding the quality on a 5.1. Is an external sound card necessary? Do you simply use audio out, or are there USB connections that are used in some systems?

Conversion
Aug 15, 2009, 11:03 AM
I have the Z-5500 and it's connected to my MacBook via an optical toslink cable with a toslink to mini-toslink adapter in the end of the cable that goes into the Book. Works great.

Looks like this:
http://avexperten.dk/Billeder/stpKAB-opt1+5m-mf.jpg

And the adapter:
http://avexperten.dk/Billeder/thADA-minitoslink.jpg

SkipperStyle
Aug 15, 2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks, that is the simple solution I was looking for.

ChrisA
Aug 17, 2009, 07:40 PM
... I have only listened to music on this macbook through headphones, and have no idea regarding the quality on a 5.1. Is an external sound card necessary? Do you simply use audio out, or are there USB connections that are used in some systems?

Most music is recorded in stereo. The Mac will only be sending two channels to the Logitec 5.1 system and then the Logitec system will have to create the other three channels using it's internal DSP.

If you were watching DVD movies it would be different. In that case the soundtrack would have the 5.1 channels.

For music reproduction in an office the best thing you could get is a real stereo system. Start by buying the best speakers you can afford and then drive them with a simple amp. If yu send a stereo signal to the 5.1 system three of the channels ill by playing "faked" sound. If that is to complx then a pair of powered monitors is the next best thing. 5.1 is for movie sound tracks