Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
Hello all, I am considering purchasing an Ericsson T630/637...however I wanna know what I'll be able to do with it with my Aluminum G4 PB...I already know I can sync addresses, connect to the internet wirelessly and stuff like that...but what else can I do? what I would love to do is to be able to have my phone far away from me...then when it rings...on my PB the name of the caller appears and if I decide I wanna pick it up..I can use my bluetooth headset yet keep my phone far away...can that be done? and please tell anything cool I can do with a bluetooth phone....

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
well i have a sony ericsson z600 which i thing is pretty similar to what you are looking at (but in flip form). apart from contacts anf the adress book syncing i have a programme called romeo (its free though cant remember where i found it!) which enables you to use the phone as a remote for itunes and the dvd player also use it with powerpoint keynote etc. if you have music on and you get a phone call it automatically mutes the comp and if you walk out of range of the comp it puts the screen saver on and also mutes music. i have heard people talking about sailling clicker. i tried it for a little while but i thought romeo was better for what i wanted. when i show all my friends they think it is very cool!

BoneyardBoy

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
Under the sea
Using Address Book u can send and receive text messages through your phone. Muuuuch easier than typing one on the phone plus when u receive a text it comes up in a window on your PB

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
BoneyardBoy said:
Using Address Book u can send and receive text messages through your phone. Muuuuch easier than typing one on the phone plus when u receive a text it comes up in a window on your PB

How do you set this up? Sounds cool.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I have a Treo 600 which does everything excluding Bluetooth. I wish, i wish it had bluetooth, but since Sprint doesn't appear to have any interest in bluetooth, i'm stuck with this crappy expensive wired device (which crashes a lot)

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
You should be able to do the receive a call, answer call thing--I think. I know that you can get programs that will alert you when you receive a call and will display who it is. The only thing I don't know is if you can then use the headset to answer the call. My T610 seems to only be able to pair to one device at a time (or one program at a time--I can't connect to both salling clicker and internet connect, for example) so I don't know if you can be connected to the computer to receive calls and then connect to the headset. It would be cool if you could though.

joshuajestelle

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Salling Clicker

I using Salling Clicker with my T610. It works great.

Allow for remote control of all sorts of things on your Mac, iTunes, Keynote, Powerpoint, your mouse, DVD Player, etc.

Also you can setup scripts to do certain things when you come in range of your computer, or when you get calls, etc.

Very nice piece of software.

Josh

pinkeye00

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2004
Practicle Uses

There are MANY practicle reasons why you should use bluetooth!

Here is how I have survived in MacLand with my current bluetooth phone and previous ones.

My history with bluetooth started with the Sony Ericsson t68i and then onto a Sony Ericsson T610, then finally onto my new services with the Nokia 6820.

Reason 1: It will save your life

Bluetooth services a wide range of needs for people who hate wires. With a mouse, keyboard, and even bluetooth printer extensions it frees the hands, mind, and finally the soul. When it comes to fones its gives freedom with an item such as a bluetooth headset! I had a Jabra BT Headset, and considering I drive a stick, it helped in that dept., but also helped because in NYS we have this crazy law where using your phone without a headset can land you a ticket.

Reason 2: Backup of data

Phones generally are a BITCH to get information off. The problem usually involves some stupid USB device, or IR crap, that your computer will be additionally a pain to get a program to get it via. USB, serial or other connector!

Bluetooth as a standard provides a rather popular conduit to get information from. Example: iSync. I have a G5 at home with bluetooth (D-Link USB module - which is VERY common in Mac realms). I use T610 to take all my contacts off of the phone and then since I purchased ANOTHER BT phone - Nokia 6820, I simply copied them back and then onto the new SIM that came with my phone! I would have had to go through the trouble of UNLOCKING my phone (which I had already done - but if you dont know how .. its a bitch and can cost $$), backing up my Tmobile SIM, putting into my NEW phone, copying it TO the phone ... vis versa! Basically, ease of use with iSync backup and retrieval with a common standard was worth its weight in gold.

Reason #3: The Internet

Ok, Palm to Phone, Laptop to Phone, PDA to phone, XYZ-Device to phone.
Mac provides BT as a condiut to go through to get internet access! If you have a Mac laptop and you find yourself in some place that charges for wireless or for THAT matter .. ANY devise that you may use to connect to the internet ... the phone has saved my ass a NUMBER of times, when I was desperate to connect to a server just to pull down mail! Pine baby! Basically, you get a slow connection with bluetooth ( I think with the Sony E. T610, it was around 9600kps), but considering you may have NO connection AT ALL, it provides a backup plan for connection if you REALLY need one.

Reason #4: Its sexxxy!

Walking around with a device in your porkect that you don't even have to touch, to access ROCKS! I have been i na couple of places, and put my laptop on w/ connection .. they simply look at me funny. :)

Basically, have a bluetooth phone really makes life a little more sane. You can push pictures for wallpaper easily on to your phone, you can backup data FROM the phone for safe keeping! You can get some uh-huh uh-huh from hot chicks! I mean, if you REALLY use your phone or switch phones often, the phone book feature ROCKS completely! Bottom line, buy one. They really have some great practicle features that can be very valuable when you get addicted to them.

Good luck!

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Jericho2550 said:
what I would love to do is to be able to have my phone far away from me...then when it rings...on my PB the name of the caller appears and if I decide I wanna pick it up..I can use my bluetooth headset yet keep my phone far away...can that be done? and please tell anything cool I can do with a bluetooth phone....

Boom, your wish is granted :D , You can connect ur phone to addressbook, and then whenevr there is a call, a small pop up window appears on your pb. And it has a button, answer call. So if you are wearing a bluetooth headset, you are all set. no need to pick or look where the phone is. :)

Another really cool thing is salling clicker, as already mentioned.

cheers

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
abhishekit said:
Boom, your wish is granted :D , You can connect ur phone to addressbook, and then whenevr there is a call, a small pop up window appears on your pb. And it has a button, answer call. So if you are wearing a bluetooth headset, you are all set. no need to pick or look where the phone is. :)

Another really cool thing is salling clicker, as already mentioned.

cheers

Oh yeah, Bluetooth rocks. Just one thing - don't expect the 10m/30ft range. You might get it - or even more - but odds are that the phone will need to be closer than that (10-15 feet), especially if you've got a lot going on in the Bluetooth bandwidth (wireless mouse, microwave, cordless phone, etc. - things that tend to gum up the frequency).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.