Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShaggyLR

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
Montreal
Is there any way to connect to the internet on an Apple Laptop using a mobile phone? For if you are camping for example and wish to connect to the internet?

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
It is possible, but it depends on who your provider is and what phone you have. I hook up to the internet all the time with my Sony Ericsson T610 through T-Mobile. It is not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but it works wherever I have coverage.

joshuajestelle

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Yup; I do the same thing, T-Mobile with a T610. It is slow, but it works. It works particularly well for just email, via Mail.app, as the transfer speeds don't seem that bad, but latency seems to be more the problem. So web browsing isn't very pleasent, and ssh connections are practially hopeless.

Josh

josepho

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
Surrey, England
I've connected a Motorola V600, Nokia 6310i and Sony Ericsson P900 all up to the internet on my Powerbook simply using Bluetooth, GPRS and the modem scripts found in the link posted above (which is an invaluable resource).

It's pants easy!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well the link above takes me to redirection.com, which means that the link doesn't work, but anyway, why can't you connect a PB to the internet using ANY mobile that has internet access? If they can access the web anyway, surely any phone with such a capability can do it. It just has to be hooked up to your PB somehow.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Abstract said:
Well the link above takes me to redirection.com, which means that the link doesn't work, but anyway, why can't you connect a PB to the internet using ANY mobile that has internet access? If they can access the web anyway, surely any phone with such a capability can do it. It just has to be hooked up to your PB somehow.

See this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/76163/

Yes, you can connect in prinicple with any cell that has BT and an internet connection that's essentially open access -- like GPRS. I dunno how iMode etc work so I can't comment.

But the settings maybe/are different for diff. providers.

BTW, I have a question. Anyone ever have the modem handler fail to disconnect from bluetooth? I was using my cell this way, and I disconnected. Apparently it wasn't done. When I put my iBook to sleep, my cell stayed paired to it (the BT active indicator was still lit)! And then when I woke it up, it kept going back to trying to disconnect. Reseting the phone didn't help, and there isn't really a task to force quit, unless I try to find the process and rmprocs it.

Finally I had to reboot my iBook. :mad:

Anyone else had this experience? Is there a fix?

josepho

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
Surrey, England
mkrishnan said:
See this thread:

Yes, you can connect in prinicple with any cell that has BT and an internet connection that's essentially open access -- like GPRS. I dunno how iMode etc work so I can't comment.

BTW, I have a question. Anyone ever have the modem handler fail to disconnect from bluetooth? I was using my cell this way, and I disconnected. Apparently it wasn't done. When I put my iBook to sleep, my cell stayed paired to it (the BT active indicator was still lit)! And then when I woke it up, it kept going back to trying to disconnect. Reseting the phone didn't help, and there isn't really a task to force quit, unless I try to find the process and rmprocs it.

Finally I had to reboot my iBook. :mad:

Anyone else had this experience? Is there a fix?

Eek :confused:

My experience has been almost flawless. My Powerbook connects and disconnects pretty much exactly when it should. The only problem I was having was that occasionally the modem would hang up, but I discovered that altering the modem script to the non +CGQREG one helped with that.

I'm just looking forward to using it for internet access when I'm in Spain for 6 weeks in July/August. I'm not sure how readily WiFi hotpots will be available, so knowing I always have GPRS is great!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
josepho said:
My experience has been almost flawless. My Powerbook connects and disconnects pretty much exactly when it should. The only problem I was having was that occasionally the modem would hang up, but I discovered that altering the modem script to the non +CGQREG one helped with that.

Hopefully it'll stay that way! So far this has only happened once...there are three or four different scripts for my phone. Maybe I should try one of the other ones.

What I guess I could use in case though, is some kinda non-rebooting crash recovery for the modem tool if it happens again...if there's something I can safely rmprocs to reset it...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
mkrishnan said:
See this thread:

Thanks. I'd assume any GSM/GPRS phone, whatever the exact differences are, can connect your PB to the internet through BT, but I guess everything has compatibility issues.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Abstract said:
Thanks. I'd assume any GSM/GPRS phone, whatever the exact differences are, can connect your PB to the internet through BT, but I guess everything has compatibility issues.

I think the big difference is you have to find/write a modem script for it. But that http://www.taniwha.org.uk/ site has scripts for many different cells, and most of the rest are prolly out there already too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.