Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
I need a new charger for my c2d macbook. I'm wondering what peoples experiences with non-oem chargers are? A new one from apple is $80, whereas I can pick one up for $18 shipped on ebay.

Thoughts?

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I always bought originals, check your local Craigslist. Quality and safety were massive concerns of mine and how my multiple-thousand dollar machine gets powered.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I've been using a non-OEM charger I got on ebay for 8 months now. No problems. It doesn't look like the original MagSafe charger with the "brick" on the very end but it's the same in all other respects. And as a bonus, it doesn't catch fire like some of Apple's chargers do. :D

I keep the original charger in my brief case and just keep the ebay one on my desk at home. I never have to unplug and pack chargers when I'm on the go. And since I'm mostly on battery power when I leave the house, the ebay charger is in use 95% of the time.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
And as a bonus, it doesn't catch fire like some of Apple's chargers do. :D

Until, one day, it does. Your charger is not licensed, and probably not UL listed, and more than likely made in China to no standard.

The risk is too great to go cheap on something that can destroy your machine and burn down your house.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
Until, one day, it does. Your charger is not licensed, and probably not UL listed,

Sure it is - just like yours.

and more than likely made in China to no standard.
Where do you think your mac is made? :D

The risk is too great to go cheap on something that can destroy your machine and burn down your house.
I guess you haven't read the horror stories here about the charger you use?

I've been using mine for 8 months now. I keep it plugged into my macbook almost 24/7. If I or my house were to spontaneously "combust" I think it would have happened by now.

So sorry... I'm standing by my purchase. Besides, all evidence points to the fact that Apple's charger ain't exactly perfect either.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Sure it is - just like yours.

O RLY? Last time I checked, Apple has not licensed the Magsafe, how can a third-party legally build an adapter?

Where do you think your mac is made? :D

I know where it is made ... but I also know it is made to certain electrical standards and guidelines that ensure safety.

I guess you haven't read the horror stories here about the charger you use?

I've seen a few, and there is always bound to be fluctuations in material and quality - some parts will fail. It happens. The fact remains that there are millions of Apple chargers that will not burst into flames.

So sorry... I'm standing by my purchase. Besides, all evidence points to the fact that Apple's charger ain't exactly perfect either.

Never said they were, see above.

However, the fact remains that if you buy a third-party "magsafe" charger, the chance it will short is much greater, since it will either be made illegally in China, and imported WITHOUT passing the inspection and certification process or it will be one that someone pieced together from two broken chargers.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
After experiencing serious problem with cables that were not "made for Mac/iPod/whatever", I will never try to go the cheap route to save money. Had an Alpine deck and decided to save a money by getting a non-Alpine cable for iPod integration, after a week of use, the cable fried my iPod. Same thing happened to my friend (Would have been a BIG coincidence). Sure you might benefit at the time but down the road, you probably lose more than you gain if some sort of failure does happen. At least with a burning MagSafe charger that burns your portable, Apple is held responsible. What happens when the same thing happens with the non-Apple charger, can't blame Apple. With an iPod, it doesn't cost much so I was ok putting down money for another iPod but with a MacBook or MacBook Pro? Forget about it - not taking that risk.

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
I wouldn't trust'em.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA538LL/B

Note the rating & review.

It's not like the original is so great to begin with.

They are all dirt cheap supplies compared to proper, regulated supplies with low ripple. I have used non-Apple-branded chargers for years just fine(for the sole reason that they don't fail like the Apple ones), you just have to find a place that sells good ones and stick with them.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
O RLY? Last time I checked, Apple has not licensed the Magsafe, how can a third-party legally build an adapter?
They do it thusly:

Apple has not licensed third-party products using MagSafe, however manufacturers have devised a workaround: their MagSafe items use the actual connector from Apple’s AC adapter, grafted onto their own product. Since this uses an actual Apple product, purchased legally, no licensing agreements are needed and the patents are not violated

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagSafe

And I was referring to your erroneous assumption (i.e. shot-in-the-dark guess) that it wasn't UL listed. Again, it is. Hell, anybody can get UL to test anything.

I know where it is made...
Then why did you bring up "China" like it's the scorn of the earth and synonymous with crappy quality? My charger is a direct result of sweat from chinese laborers making 10 cents and hour... just like my macbook :D

but I also know it is made to certain electrical standards and guidelines that ensure safety.
Why? Because it is sold for $80 by a company with a monopoly on it who can charge whatever they want? LOL!

I've seen a few, and there is always bound to be fluctuations in material and quality - some parts will fail. It happens.
You're stating the obvious. This applies to anything made by a mere mortal.

The fact remains that there are millions of Apple chargers that will not burst into flames.
And millions of people cross the street each day safely. What's your point?

However, the fact remains that if you buy a third-party "magsafe" charger, the chance it will short is much greater,
What "fact"? Where is this citation of "fact"?

Dude, quit leading every sentence with, "the fact remains..." when you haven't provided any.

Again, here's my fact: For 8 months now my cheap and crappy ebay charger which you are so convinced will torch the entire city of Chicago has proven to do exactly what Apple ever hoped it's own magsafe adapters will do. (without providing kindling for a weenie roast I might add.) It has met my expectations because it does exactly what it's supposed to do. The OP asked about this and seeing as I was in his very same shoes AND, the only one here so far with ACTUAL experience in the matter... we'll I thought I could help. If you don't like me sharing my real-life, real-world, hands-on experience with the subject then ignore it.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Again, here's my personal experience: For 8 months now my cheap and crappy ebay charger which you are so convinced will torch the entire city of Chicago has proven to do exactly what Apple ever hoped it's own magsafe adapters will do. (without providing kindling for a weenie roast I might add.) It has met my expectations because it does exactly what it's supposed to do. The OP asked about this and seeing as I was in his very same shoes AND, the only one here so far with ACTUAL experience in the matter... we'll I thought I could help. If you don't like me sharing my real-life, real-world, hands-on experience with the subject then ignore it.

No where did I say it will torch the city of Chicago ... While it may have worked out for you, that doesn't mean it will work out for everybody.

The reason I brought up China is because that is where the vast majority of cheap (as in poorly made) knock-off products come from. If you think you are going to get a knockoff charger for $20, don't come crying here or to Apple about it if something happens.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
No where did I say it will torch the city of Chicago ... While it may have worked out for you, that doesn't mean it will work out for everybody.

The reason I brought up China is because that is where the vast majority of cheap (as in poorly made) knock-off products come from. If you think you are going to get a knockoff charger for $20, don't come crying here or to Apple about it if something happens.

I personally think that's the big thing. While Apple's MagSafe might not be the best and is arguably on par with knockoffs, if something were to happen, Apple is held responsible and you will be taken care of. With that said, I could see a 3rd party charger failing on someone and then that person coming on here blaming Apple in some way or saying their "MagSafe" failed on them and Apple isn't replacing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.