PDA

View Full Version : Some help to my problems with iBook G4 laptop?

Kreshalt
Aug 16, 2009, 11:00 AM
So, as the title says, i got my dads old iBook g4 mac about half year ago and I have got since that many problems with software. Unlike with windows and ubuntu, I don't know how to use mac so I made my decision to ask some help. Here's some typical problems with my computer.

-Safari and other internet browsers have started to crash down in normal use. Other softwares also do this sometimes.

-Everything happens very slow. When I type e.x. url, the letters appear 2-3sec after I have pressed them from my keyboard. Downloadtimes are also huges.(downloaded this forum like 3-4min) (my internet connectivity can't be the reason, 'cause my other laptop (ubuntu) downloads sites under 2sec)

-Air inside my laptop heat up fast. (I can warm my fingers with it just after couple ten minutes using)

-Lately I've noticed that I can't update my programs ex. firefox.

Do you ppl have any idea what's wrong in the computer or the user?
Thanks for help already.

Hellhammer
Aug 16, 2009, 12:27 PM
I would reinstall OS X

JediMeister
Aug 16, 2009, 01:31 PM
To get a better idea of the issue you will probably want to create another user account on the system via Accounts in system preferences. Obviously another user is not going to affect the cooling issue you seem to be having but it'll identify whether Hellhammer's suggestion is applicable. If Safari, Firefox, and the keyboard responsiveness issues you've found occur in the other user account a reinstall may be appropriate. You should also see whether newer versions of Safari or Firefox are even compatible with your OS, are you running 10.4 or earlier on that thing? Short of reinstalling, running Disk Utility from the hard drive (not from the install disc) and repairing disk permissions may localize the issue.