Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nams42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
Not too long ago, I was talking with a friend who thought that the new iPod Touch might include an HD camera. Then, my cousin also said that he was seeing that as a possibility also. I'm not sure its possible to put a package that insane in such a small case. You think its possible? :apple:

Nams42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
Price would be key

Yes... it would be hard, and I admit I'm quite a skeptic. But it would be quite a battle against Flip HD and kodak. If they did that, I would pay the extra money if it was like $50-70 more.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I would NOT pay more than $230 for the next iPod touch, even if it included a HD camera, (which btw I think is possible, but unlikely within the next 6 generations)

Most likely you will see a 3.0 MP camera like the iPhone 3G S and that's it!

If the iPhone hasn't done it, the iPod touch hasn't done it

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I would NOT pay more than $230 for the next iPod touch, even if it included a HD camera, (which btw I think is possible, but unlikely within the next 6 generations)

Most likely you will see a 3.0 MP camera like the iPhone 3G S and that's it!

If the iPhone hasn't done it, the iPod touch won't have it
Fixed, how did you come up with 6 generations?

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
I'm in favor of a camera that takes 480 x 320 video. Fits the screen perfectly and doesn't waste any space. The screen is nice enough to be used to show the video you've taken around on, rather than dragging everyone somewhere you can find the right cable and an HDTV to plug it all into.

Nams42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009

The current generations are selling for $229 @ 8 GB. If you add HD and up the storage to 16 GB, I would pay as much as $299 for it :D. I still am a skeptic, but would love apple forever if they did include HD!

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
HD cameras consume way too much power. Apple isn't exactly an expert on cameras. Recording 720P on my Panasonic Lumix takes so much space (500MB for a few mins) and the iPhone/iPod touch's processors won't be able to handle that kind of data stream.

Apple focuses more on software (iPhone OS) than hardware. The only reason they updated the iPhone's camera was because of popular demand.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The current generations are selling for $229 @ 8 GB. If you add HD and up the storage to 16 GB, I would pay as much as $299 for it :D. I still am a skeptic, but would love apple forever if they did include HD!

From what I heard, the 8GB will be taken off the assembly line, and the new 8GB is the 16GB, which will sell for $230.:)

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
why don't buy DSLR camera or HD video camera if you want that much quality? it's portable multimedia device. it is nothing more than that. even Apple upgrades ipod touch every year, it won't happen. just try to think about reasonable question before posting. of course, it's capable of playing HD. not recording. it's way different.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
HD video currently eats up to much storage space and you'd have to have one heck of an image sensor to fit in the Touch envelope. So, wait for technology to catch up first. The best indicator is when standard video and still cams, which are the likely markets for any revolutionary technology.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I'm in favor of a camera that takes 480 x 320 video. Fits the screen perfectly and doesn't waste any space. The screen is nice enough to be used to show the video you've taken around on, rather than dragging everyone somewhere you can find the right cable and an HDTV to plug it all into.
You do realize that 480x320 is practically useless. That's not even YouTube quality resolution.

HD cameras consume way too much power. Apple isn't exactly an expert on cameras. Recording 720P on my Panasonic Lumix takes so much space (500MB for a few mins) and the iPhone/iPod touch's processors won't be able to handle that kind of data stream.
They could use h264 (or MPEG-4) at 5 Mbps and get about 30 minutes of video in 1GB of space. 5 Mbps for 720p is not too bad. Your Panny probably takes video in M-JPEG, which is not that efficient.

HD video currently eats up to much storage space and you'd have to have one heck of an image sensor to fit in the Touch envelope. So, wait for technology to catch up first. The best indicator is when standard video and still cams, which are the likely markets for any revolutionary technology.
The current speculation is that the iPhone's camera sensor is 1/4". The Flip HD has a 1/4.5" sensor. They could easily fit in an HD capable sensor to the touch without any difficulty. The real question is whether they want to or not.

ft

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
From what I heard, the 8GB will be taken off the assembly line, and the new 8GB is the 16GB, which will sell for $230.:)

I believe the 16gb will sell for $199 to undercut the Zune. And thats why Microsoft put the Zune HD release off until after the apple events usually take place so that they can lower the price if apple does this.

Nams42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
why don't buy DSLR camera or HD video camera if you want that much quality? it's portable multimedia device. it is nothing more than that. even Apple upgrades ipod touch every year, it won't happen. just try to think about reasonable question before posting. of course, it's capable of playing HD. not recording. it's way different.

Thats the kicker. Most people won't care. As a matter of fact, most people would rather take lower quality video just so they could fit more on the iPod. I don't think we'll see it happening until the entry level touch has over 100 gbs of storage.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California

Not true. The new processor has a unit for HD.

womble2k2

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
London
The decive is really too small for HD. The smaller the device, the more likely the user is to shake. On a large screen HD screen, it would look horrible.

So would you go the expense of a HD camera to view on the iPod Touch's own screen, probably not.

There is also the small issue of the processor, heat and battery life. Capturing and encoding HD video is extremely processor intensive. Even if the processor coped, it would get very hot, which is difficult to dissipate in such a small device and would require a larger capacity battery than the current one.

Sometime in the future, it may happen, if the iPod Touch still exists.

Phil

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
The decive is really too small for HD. The smaller the device, the more likely the user is to shake. On a large screen HD screen, it would look horrible.

So would you go the expense of a HD camera to view on the iPod Touch's own screen, probably not.

There is also the small issue of the processor, heat and battery life. Capturing and encoding HD video is extremely processor intensive. Even if the processor coped, it would get very hot, which is difficult to dissipate in such a small device and would require a larger capacity battery than the current one.

Sometime in the future, it may happen, if the iPod Touch still exists.

Phil
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I'm going to disagree with you.

The iPhone's camera has a very short focal length. If the iPod touch gets that same camera, and assuming that there's no optical zoom function, camera shake shouldn't be that bad. Also, camera shake would be the same for SD as it would be for HD. Lastly, Apple's been adding "shake-reduction" technology to iMovie and I'm assuming FC as well.

As for the processor/encoding/battery life aspect, I also disagree. The iPod touch should have plenty of processor power to encode HD video in MPEG-4/h264. If not, there's always M-JPEG. I don't think anyone's talking about 1080p here. 720/30p is quite easy. Most cameras do it these days and I haven't heard anyone complain about heat or battery drain.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
You do realize that 480x320 is practically useless. That's not even YouTube quality resolution.
ft
Yes. Do you realize 480 x 320 is the size of every video you watch on your Touch or iPhone? Anything larger is downsized to play on that screen. Videos on earlier devices and many new devices is usually 320 x 240, which owners of those devices will usually tell you "looks great!". 352x240 is VHS resolution, which until HDTV showed up everyone thought was fine. My point was that if the view screen for videos on your Touch was most often the Touch's screen, then it's a waste of space to record any higher resolution. Please pay more attention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.