Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aheps84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
Hi,

I've just arrived in Spain a couple of days ago with my Aluminum MacBook. I have a outlet adapter that changes my 2-prong US laptop plug to a 2-prong receiver EU outlet, but adapter DOES NOT change any voltage. Every time I plug in my computer there is a little spark (between my MacBook plug and the adapter that is plugged into the EU outlet), but then it seems like everything charges as normal (or maybe faster than normal).

Am I damaging my laptop/battery? How much voltage is the MacBook made to accept? Electricity in Spain is 230 Volts, alternating at 50 cycles per second. Please let me know what I should do as soon as possible because I don't want to kill my laptop.:confused:

Thank you!

-Ashley

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
If you look on your power brick it's labeled 110/240V 60/50hz.

The brick can take both voltages. If it couldn't it would have fried on the very first plug-in.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
You get sparks when you plug things into mains on every continent I've been on. It's normal.

Electricity in Spain is 230 Volts, alternating at 50 cycles per second. Please let me know what I should do as soon as possible because I don't want to kill my laptop.:confused:

Doesn't matter; your adapter is capable of taking this input and converting it to the necessary DC voltage/current.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.