PDA

View Full Version : whois Question

SChaput
Aug 16, 2009, 09:22 PM
I tired to register a website only to find out it was already taken. I'd like to try and contact the owner of the domain name, which currently leads to a 404 error. I get this information from http://www.who.is/. Do i have any options in trying to contact the owner?

Also, am i right in thinking that the expiration date being Sep 14 means that i will be able to register the domain on that date?

Thanks.
---------

Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
Status: clientDeleteProhibited, clientRenewProhibited, clientTransferProhibited, clientUpdateProhibited

Expiration Date: 2009-09-14
Creation Date: 2004-09-14
Last Update Date: 2008-09-13

Name Servers:
ns101.hostgator.com
ns102.hostgator.com

belvdr
Aug 16, 2009, 09:24 PM
So long as the person doesn't renew it before then.

SChaput
Aug 16, 2009, 09:25 PM
So since i already have the .net equivalent of the page and the hosting, am i able to move the hosting and everything over to the .com name?

belvdr
Aug 16, 2009, 09:26 PM
That's nothing more than pointing DNS for the .com name to your existing web site's IP address. It will then answer up for both. Just ensure you are using relative URLs in links across the site, and the domain name will remain .net or .com, whichever the user used to get there.

tekio
Aug 16, 2009, 10:49 PM
They've got 30-45 days after the expire date to renew it, then you've got to hope nobody has backordered it.

angelwatt
Aug 17, 2009, 08:21 AM
They likely have an auto-renew setup on it as you can see from the year before when it got renewed. You can try contacting the owner, but there's a decent chance they're a squatter and will charge you more than the domain name is worth.

SrWebDeveloper
Aug 17, 2009, 08:44 AM
FYI - "clientTransferProhibited" means the domain is locked, to prevent transfer to a different registrar unless the owner approves/unlocks. Based on the history it's highly probably it has been auto-renewed on the 13th each year since 2004 so this likely will involve them wanting money from you to part with the domain. If the price seems unreasonable, screw 'em and register something else.

-jim