PDA

View Full Version : Video card for g4 dp 450mhz

lfynbo
Aug 17, 2009, 03:54 AM
I want to upgrade the video performance on my power mac g4 dp 450mhz, but need help on choosing which video card to look for.
the current video card (ati rage 128 pro with 16mb of sdram) occupies a 2x agp port.
the system has 1,6gb ram installed and is based upon two powerpc 7400 g4 processers.

can anybody recommend a faster video card that can be used in this kind of mac?
and/or briefly inform me on what to be aware of when looking for a new video card.

kindest,
lars fynbo - copenhagen, denmark

macz1
Aug 17, 2009, 05:04 AM
I would recommend an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. I think it's the fastest card you can put into this system and supports quartz extreme and core image. I put one in my G4/400, I didn't however get the mac version (which is extremely expensive, I think its price is the same as when it came out...) but I flashed a PC version I buyed on ebay.
If you want to try to flash a PC version you will find many Links somewhere in this forum, all the information you need can be found....

macz1
Aug 17, 2009, 05:11 AM
I already found a first useful link which will help you to find the right card:

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/flasher-s-buying-guide-9800

PS: I did not have to tape any pins, and I think you have also a sawtooth G4 like I have, so probably you can ignore this point.

But important: get an AGP 2x/4x/8x version (two gaps in the PCI connector) else it won't fit into your G4

Hrududu
Aug 17, 2009, 11:12 AM
I've got a Radeon 7500 in my Cube that works out pretty nicely. They're really cheap (got mine for $30) and it supports Quartz Extreme, dual displays, and the 22" and 23" ACDs. Its also faster than the comparably priced Radeon 7000 and GeForce2. If you're just looking for a good card without spending much cash, I'd recommend it.

lfynbo
Aug 17, 2009, 01:53 PM
I would recommend an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. I think it's the fastest card you can put into this system and supports quartz extreme and core image. I put one in my G4/400, I didn't however get the mac version (which is extremely expensive, I think its price is the same as when it came out...) but I flashed a PC version I buyed on ebay.
If you want to try to flash a PC version you will find many Links somewhere in this forum, all the information you need can be found....

thanks. I'll see if I can find a radeon 9800 pro - or maybe a 9700 pro, as it appers to offer almost the same performance on a power mac.
kindest,
lars fynbo

lfynbo
Aug 17, 2009, 01:56 PM
I've got a Radeon 7500 in my Cube that works out pretty nicely. They're really cheap (got mine for $30) and it supports Quartz Extreme, dual displays, and the 22" and 23" ACDs. Its also faster than the comparably priced Radeon 7000 and GeForce2. If you're just looking for a good card without spending much cash, I'd recommend it.

thanks!
that could be an alternative to the 90xx-series, I suppose. but it only comes with 64mb ram(?).
kindest,
lars

Hrududu
Aug 17, 2009, 02:45 PM
thanks!
that could be an alternative to the 90xx-series, I suppose. but it only comes with 64mb ram(?).
kindest,
lars
I don't think the Mac version came with any more than 32mb actually. A flashed PC card might have more. Honestly, in a 450MHz Mac, I doubt the difference would be much especially since its only 2x AGP anyways.

OrangeSVTguy
Aug 17, 2009, 07:11 PM
Also if you purchase a PC 9800 Pro, don't be fooled into thinking that a 256mb version is better. It performs pretty much exactly the same as the 128mb card.

I'd suggest getting an ATI Arctic VGA cooler too to help dissipate some of the heat.

You should be able to find PC 9800s in the $25 range.

lfynbo
Aug 18, 2009, 02:11 AM
Also if you purchase a PC 9800 Pro, don't be fooled into thinking that a 256mb version is better. It performs pretty much exactly the same as the 128mb card.

I'd suggest getting an ATI Arctic VGA cooler too to help dissipate some of the heat.

You should be able to find PC 9800s in the $25 range.

thanks!
so I should settle for either a mac or a pc edition (+ flash) of a radeon 9800 with 128mb of ram.
does anybody know if the radeon 9000 ME with 128mb of ram is worth considering (there is one on ebay, which so far appears to be rather inexpensive)?

and - is it true that a radeon 9800 pc is easy to flash? ie. easy for a novice in the field of flashing...

thanks for all your help!
regards,
lars

lfynbo
Aug 18, 2009, 04:24 AM

BTW: I am not exactly sure what an "ati arctic vga cooler" is - even after googling around a little. could you please post an url to the one that you would mount on a 9800 pro.
regards,
lars

macz1
Aug 18, 2009, 05:06 AM
A 9800 Pro is one of the easiest to flash. If you find a reference board, the ROM should be quickly found at themacelite (link posted above), then there is a little app wich can flash the card in OS X (Probably I have it on my G4 somewhere, already preloaded with a 9800 Pro ROM). But can also use a PC for flashing, which has the advantage that you can see whether your card is working properly before the flash. If it's a dead card (unfortunately this is not to exclude on used ebayed cards) you see it right away and you avoid a lot of unsuccessful flashes...

TheReef
Aug 18, 2009, 05:29 AM
I bought a cheap Radeon 9000 64Mb Mac version, it did the trick, Mac OS X ran a lot more smoothly and games of that era ran, if you find one cheap it'll save you the flashing.

The 9800 would be your best choice though, I also had this card and was very good.

(Either of these would see a massive increase from the Rage 128)

Earl Urly
Aug 18, 2009, 10:30 AM
If you run Leopard a 9800 or even 9500/9700 is a must as it is Core Image compatible and will help speed up the system

If you only run Tiger a used 9000 or GeForce4 Titanium will do just fine