Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

destroyboredom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2002
Washington, DC.
I was just curious, my ibook recently went in for the 3rd time to have it's logicboard replaced. The first time was right before they announced the replacement program, the second time was about a month after.

I'm curious if Apple has developed a permanent fix to this problem?

Now to be completely honest, I'm hoping mine fails again, because Apple customer care told me they wouldn't expect me to go through a 4th hardware repair and would "probably replace the unit." I'm thinking this would be a good time to upgrade to a 12" powerbook for the cost difference.

Anyone else out there have a logicboard fail after getting it fixed through the new program?

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
destroyboredom said:
I was just curious, my ibook recently went in for the 3rd time to have it's logicboard replaced. The first time was right before they announced the replacement program, the second time was about a month after.

I'm curious if Apple has developed a permanent fix to this problem?

Now to be completely honest, I'm hoping mine fails again, because Apple customer care told me they wouldn't expect me to go through a 4th hardware repair and would "probably replace the unit." I'm thinking this would be a good time to upgrade to a 12" powerbook for the cost difference.

Anyone else out there have a logicboard fail after getting it fixed through the new program?

I did a thread on this a few weeks ago and the consensus was that there was no consensus. Some said yes, others said no. I don't think anyone could provide a definitive answer. If I were you, I would probably not expect this newest fix to be any different than the last one. That doesn't mean it will fail, but I would expect that it will be the same as the last time, since it has already been repaired under the logic board program.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
As overheard by me: (a british lady is at the genius bar in Cambridge MA with a dead iBook.) Tech says: (and I paraphrase) It's not the board itself, but the casing which allows too much flex, and this torques the logic board, causing failure. The G4 iBooks do not suffer from this. So, installing a new logic board is really only a temporary fix. BIG ASS NOTE: One way to avoid making the case flex, is to NEVER EVER EVER pick it up by a corner with the display open. Two hands on each side, or a hand on the center of the bottom etc. so the weight is evenly supported.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
that big note makes alot of sense.i always held mine by the corner, but nobody ever told me ...

I should note that apple does not offer upgrades between lines very easily. I had my iBook quit last summer and a i boxed up the old one, sold it on ebay and bought the powerbook ... it was my only option, i probably spent about 10 hours on the phone with apple just about getting the upgrade to the powerbook and they wouldn't do it , even if i paid the difference. I talked to managers on different shifts and things like that and it was just not happenening ....

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i had my logic board replaced 11 June 04. here's what's on my proof of repair:

Part Number: APPP72B
Part Number Replaced: 630-4039 PCBA, 800 MHz

hope that's of some help.

destroyboredom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2002
Washington, DC.
I checked my repair sheets the first one dated 1/20 just says:
630-4039 PCBA, 800MHZ

3/30/04
630-4039 PCBA, 800MHZ/658-0237 KEYBOARD ASSY

6/14/04
600-8601 ASSY,INVERTER/SLEEP /630-4039 PCBA, 800MHZ/632-0175 CABLE,FLEX,HDD/OPT

So I give this one about 2 months, like the last one.

As for proper "handling" it's good to know because I usually do handle it by 1 corner, and if continuing that will get me a G4 iBook, then I think I'll continue doing it. Obviously getting a 12" powerbook would be great but I could settle for the G4 ibook.
:)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
I always lift my ibook by the corners and i will continue doing so (I've had mine replaced twice once under the logic board replacement program once in warrenty)

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
CmdrLaForge said:
BTW, the iBook repair program has been updated a few days ago. They are now covering even more iBooks under this program

Cheers
The list looks like it covers nearly all G3 white ibooks from introduction until they were phased out. I've had one board failure about 11 months from new (about 7 months ago). I try not to lift by the corners as it doesn't feel too good doing it anyway....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.