Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

naevity

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Just wanted to post about my new app / webapp: Terra Painter. It turns your iPhone into a virtual paintbrush, and everyone can contribute. Using GeoLocation, it uploads your location (anonymously) and a color to a database, and then plots it on google maps.

The only thing the app sends is your lat/lng and color, nothing more.

If you're interested, you can find out a little more about it here: http://www.terrapainter.com.

The app itself is still in approval land, where it has been for the past 2 weeks, but I just released the webapp version this morning, which you can visit here: http://iphone.terrapainter.com

In order for the webapp to work, you must visit from your iPhone. Right now it only works on the iPhone and you must have an active data connection as it uploads as you move. The next release will have an offline mode for places that don't have a cellular signal, or if you are overseas. This will allow you to save your travels, and upload them when you want.

iphonewebapp.png
screenshots.png

naevity

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Just an update on Terra Painter - I'm still waiting on Apple to approve the Terra Painter App, it's been 12 days so far, and I hope it gets approved soon. In the mean time, the Web App has been very successful, in just over 2 weeks I've had over 5000 points added to the database, and we have people from all over the world!

I've taken a screenshot of the map showing all of the points at once, which you can see below. It's really coming along. I can't wait for the app to get released, I think it will really skyrocket then.

27033251-bf9f468eb43aa21144e8617c57630922.4a9e8b5c-full.png

naevity

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Well, here it is on 09.09.09 and Apple finally approved Terra Painter for the App Store (actually they approved it last night). We've got over 6600 points in the project, with more being added every minute.

If you're interested, you can find Terra Painter here on the iTunes App Store. It's available now, and free, so give it a try!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.