PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail to offer 250MB of free storage

MacBytes
Jun 23, 2004, 07:47 PM
Category: Microsoft
Link: Hotmail to offer 250MB of free storage (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040623204736)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

LeeTom
Jun 23, 2004, 07:50 PM
Thanks Google!

Lee Tom

Abstract
Jun 23, 2004, 08:04 PM
Cool. The link to the story isn't working for me, but the caption still sounds good. Sounds like MS is catching up with the rest of the email world in offering decent storage, but what are they going to do with the people that actually pay extra for their service?

joker2
Jun 23, 2004, 08:10 PM
Microsoft said Wednesday that it will boost storage limits in its Hotmail Web e-mail service, a move intended to counter similar steps taken by rivals Google and Yahoo.

The upgrade will increase Hotmail's free e-mail storage limits from 2 megabytes to 250MB and its paid e-mail service, which costs $19.95 a year, from 10MB to 2 gigabytes. The changes will begin in early July.

"With these new offers, storage will not be an issue for MSN Hotmail customers," Blake Irving, corporate vice president of communication services for MSN, said in a statement.

Is anyone surprised?

King Cobra
Jun 23, 2004, 08:14 PM
Thanks Google!

Lee Tom
LOL!

Great, yay for ********** Hotmail. I let my account expire intentionally for two reasons: [1] Hotmail's pages took so damn long to load because of all the advertising, thus wasting much of my (28.8K) bandwidth, and [2] If I clicked on a link in a message to a site outside of Hotmail, there would be a Hotmail ad. banner at the top, and the URL that appeared in my browser would be highly complex and littered with "%5E" characters, making the actual URL needlessly difficult and time consuming to decipher/convert. (Ever try asking a question at Ask.com and click on one of their recommended questions? You'll see what I mean...) I refuse to use any service that does those two things to my webmail, even if it's unlimited free email.

macridah
Jun 23, 2004, 08:16 PM
I hope .Mac will follow with more email space and even more iDisk space.

mainstreetmark
Jun 23, 2004, 08:27 PM
Why has no one just said "Unlimited", as 2 Gigaytes - even 1 Gigabyte - seems nearly infinite when talking about email. Sure, the attachments will get ya, but still... I could write the entire story of my life, including the time I was in the swamp and fell on an alligator, complete with third person comentary, and it'd take up... oh, 20 megs.

King Cobra
Jun 23, 2004, 08:34 PM
www.youvegotpost.com <-- (I forget who to credit, the poster that first brought up this site has that ..err.. "different" avatar, which I like)

...offers unlimited email for free.

There are two things to take into consideration with very large/unlimited email accounts in which it seems logical to imply that the email competition is almost over:
[1] If one email providers gives away free unlimited email, then it's almost over, as the better service wins.
[2] You can't do much with 1GB+ of email unless you rely on that a lot for presentations and going back and forth from college and large images/text documents in Word through emailing such files as attachments to yourself.

Again, that means the following step will be free hosting. I dare anyone to provide free unlimited ad-free hosting for everyone at this point in time. (No takers...) That'll be even more useful than a lot of email, and it's going to start up soon...

macridah
Jun 23, 2004, 08:56 PM
I went to check how much webmail storage I've used so for on my .mac account and it's not where is use to be. I also noticed that there are 2 new features: spell checking on outgoing messages and email aliases. When did those new features show up ... or have i not checked my preferences in a while.

x86isslow
Jun 23, 2004, 09:14 PM
I hope .Mac will follow with more email space and even more iDisk space.

Too bad Apple is the stingy company that sticks 4200rpm drives in laptops and 256 ram in a $2000 machine. I really doubt they'd upgrade iDisk and .mac email... grr! :mad:

ITR 81
Jun 23, 2004, 09:18 PM
Too bad Apple is the stingy company that sticks 4200rpm drives in laptops and 256 ram in a $2000 machine. I really doubt they'd upgrade iDisk and .mac email... grr! :mad:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/julydotmac.html

According to Thinksecret a new .Mac retail verison is a coming in July.
So who knows. I'm sure it will have more freebies with software tweaks and fixes. Maybe more space for all.

Les McQueen
Jun 23, 2004, 09:41 PM
Great, more room for more spam. I have email accounts such as angelfire and lycos which have around 4 meg of storage and they are chockers with spam. And as I can only view them 25 per page at a time, I can only delete them 25 at a time which needless to say takes forever. So 250 meg or even Googles offer of a gig, I mean whats the point. I read my mail I delete my mail. Why keep it in your inbox. If anyone cracks your account, everythings there waiting for them. Back in the mid 90's when the internet was just starting to catch on big time with the common people, email was a brilliant communications tool. Now it's virtually unsuable. If you want a good reliable email for keeping in touch with friends and family get yourself a yahoo account. Absolutley ZERO spam. Use this account for freinds and family only. If you want to email business's or sign up/register on websites use a hotmail,angelfire (or google I suppose if it's free) account. They will soon become saturated with spam. But who cares. When they become unworkable, ditch em and sign up a new one. Keep the account for f & f (in my case Yahoo) seperate from sign up/rego type use. This will ensure you are left with one acount which is usable.

mac15
Jun 23, 2004, 09:55 PM
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/julydotmac.html

According to Thinksecret a new .Mac retail verison is a coming in July.
So who knows. I'm sure it will have more freebies with software tweaks and fixes. Maybe more space for all.

I certainly hope we see some announcements at WWDC about this, paying $99 for 15mb is a joke on the internet now. Good to see Microsoft stepping up to google.

edesignuk
Jun 24, 2004, 01:06 AM
Shame Hotmail is still a bogged down, graphically heavy, spam box :rolleyes: I'll stick with Gmail thanks.

sjk
Jun 24, 2004, 03:43 AM
www.youvegotpost.com <-- (I forget who to credit, the poster that first brought up this site has that ..err.. "different" avatar, which I like)

...offers unlimited email for free.

Error: Unable to load module: GMail::NoAuth::Join. Reason:
Global symbol "$name" requires explicit package name at
/home/post/public_html/cgi-bin/webmail/admin/GMail/NoAuth/Join.pm line 463.
Global symbol "$domain" requires explicit package name at
/home/post/public_html/cgi-bin/webmail/admin/GMail/NoAuth/Join.pm line 463.
Global symbol "$name" requires explicit package name at
/home/post/public_html/cgi-bin/webmail/admin/GMail/NoAuth/Join.pm line 477.
/home/post/public_html/cgi-bin/webmail/admin/GMail/NoAuth/Join.pm line 477.
/home/post/public_html/cgi-bin/webmail/admin/GMail/NoAuth/Join.pm line 478.
Compilation failed in require at GT::Template::_call_func line 783.

That was fun. :rolleyes:

King Cobra
Jun 24, 2004, 06:37 AM
To the above post...huh? Why did you quote the part of my post with Youvegotpost when Gmail is listed in the "Code" section? Both sites work for me...

sjk
Jun 24, 2004, 03:54 PM
To the above post...huh? Why did you quote the part of my post with Youvegotpost when Gmail is listed in the "Code" section?Because those were the errors that spewed across the top of the screen when I visited www.youvegotpost.com after reading your post, and the coincidence of them containing the "GMail" string was amusing. They're gone now.

King Cobra
Jun 24, 2004, 04:00 PM
Whoa...first time for a lot of things, usually the ones you never think of. :D