Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vsp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Chico, Ca
I've searched through a few threads here and think I'm clear on this but I'd like to double-check and ask a few questions.

Here's the set up. I'm renting half of a house. Both sides are totally separate. I've got a powerbook, the person on the other side is running Win XP. We're talking about getting just one dsl connection for the house (SBC Yahoo) and networking the two computers. The easiest way appears to be to simply buy a router, hook the computers in, configure them properly and be done with it. Is this possible?

One hitch would be where the router goes. It needs to be in one of our houses. This means if we need to reset the router one person will have to enter the other's house at whatever hour. How often do routers need to be physically reset? And is the frequency related to cost?

Finally, it sounds like linksys is one of the favored ones and dlink and netgear are a bit riskier. Any other brands to look at?

BTW, cost is a factor so I won't be going wireless right now.

Thanks
Vince

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
You're right, it will work. I think Linksys, Netgear, D-Link are all fine. If you get a solid one, you really shouldn't have to reset it ever. I haven't reset mine in a few months. Some of them allow you to login and reset them through a web interface too, so you might not even have to go into his house or vice versa.

Lee Tom

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
You'll reset the router approximately never. Netgear and Linksys are both good and I have experience with both. Configuration should be very simple. The computers themselves shouldn't need any configuration and the router is pretty easy (and might not need any either).

bullrat

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2002
I don't know where you heard that D-Link was "riskier" but I've had a D-Link 802.11b wireless network for a couple of years with no problems. We don't have any hardwired computers in my home -- we have a PC desktop, a PC laptop and a iBook that are all wireless and all sharing the same Internet cable connection. Plus when my son visits, he sometimes brings his eMac (to grab updates on our broadband connection) and everything gets along fine.

I just upgraded all our equipment a few hours ago once again to D-Link with their 802.11g burst mode to 108. I got it at a nice price and everything works fine in our mixed OS network. D-Link uses a Web browser for admin and you can reboot from the Web interface, if needed.

Just wanted to throw in a word for D-Link, as they're fast, inexpensive and have worked fine for me for years in a mixed environment. Good luck to you.

-bullrat

vsp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Chico, Ca
bullrat said:
D-Link uses a Web browser for admin and you can reboot from the Web interface, if needed.-bullrat

So if the router sitting in my neighbor's house needs be rebooted, it's 2:30 in the morning, and I don't feel like distrubing his sleep (or whatever else he may be doing) I can reboot the thing just from my computer? That would be great but sounds odd, though clearly that's the way to go for us.

Thanks for the responses. Looks like we might be able to do this.

Vince

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
vsp said:
So if the router sitting in my neighbor's house needs be rebooted, it's 2:30 in the morning, and I don't feel like distrubing his sleep (or whatever else he may be doing) I can reboot the thing just from my computer? That would be great but sounds odd, though clearly that's the way to go for us.

Thanks for the responses. Looks like we might be able to do this.

Vince

You have to go wireless it is just so much easier - plus you are only talking a few dollars extra in terms of routers. One thing to look at is the DSL modem you will be getting from SBC Yahoo. Although I can't speak to them, I know many of the local DSL providers are now providing (you have to buy them just like before) DSL modems/routers/wireless all-in-ones. So be aware of that first, could save you money on the router which would allow you to buy a wireless card.

In terms of "re-setting" the router, I have never had to reset the router. I used to have a DSL modem with Linksys wired/wireless router and the router never gave me problems. The modem on the other hand did. That would often need to be reset - but the solution (99% of the time) involved just opening up your browser and typing in the modem's adress. This allowed you to do anything to the modem - mater of fact the only thing you can't do from the browser is actually unplug the power cord. Aside from that, resetting a modem or router is easy to do w/o having to enter the other person's home.

And again, trust me - go wireless. It is so nice. Right now I am sitting on the couch while the wife watches tv in the bed room. When I get tired, I can go in the bedroom and keep surfing. No unpluging an ethernet cable.

Best of luck.

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
vsp said:

I have a Linksys router with a 4 port switch built-in. I've only had to reset it a few times and it's when there were ISP problems and it couldn't log back in. To do so, all you need to do is turn the router off for a few seconds. Maybe put it on a power strip on your side of the wall. You can cycle the power strip and he can pull the AC adapter out of the router itself.

Again, that won't be regular at all with a decent ISP. The condo I'm at now uses some sort of f'ed up T1 distribution that's laggy and blocks most ports outside of http.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.