Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
I'm going into the Apple Store tomorrow to get my Macbook repaired for a faulty hinge / screen. (the screen creaks, the hinge doesn't keep the computer closed and the glass is not secured which is getting dust under the screen.) That being said, what can I expect the process to be like? Will they do the repairs in-house or will they have to send it out to a repair depot? I'll need my computer within a week...should I expect it back by then?

Thanks for any input :)

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Chances are they'll send it out for service.

Assuming they do, turn around time is generally about a week to a week and a half.

core2duo

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2009
I think it depends on the store, and how busy they are. I've had some things that were more difficult repairs done at the store, and others that were more trivial done via mail. Turn around time for the mail in repairs is almost always between five and seven days. Remember that you can also have the machine shipped directly from home via Apple Care to speed up the process (it helps to have a Genius set up a case for you first).

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Thanks everybody. Does it really speed things up not to go through the genius?

when you say the hinge doesn't keep the computer closed, what exactly do you mean?

If you hold the computer under your arm with the opening of the computer facing up, the lid will not stay shut. There is something wrong with the magnets that just wont keep it shut.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Doubt this will be done in-store. Assuming that all your problems are going to be fixed, it is highly doubtful that they will do in-store rather than shipping it out.

runandsurf09

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2009
Last Tuesday I brought in my macbook for a logic board and top case replacement and got it back friday, so you may have good luck and get it back quick.

Is the computer not staying closed a problem with the macbooks, because I notice that mine doesn't stay close and its annoying the have in a backpack on sleep since it will keep waking up.

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Last Tuesday I brought in my macbook for a logic board and top case replacement and got it back friday, so you may have good luck and get it back quick.

Is the computer not staying closed a problem with the macbooks, because I notice that mine doesn't stay close and its annoying the have in a backpack on sleep since it will keep waking up.

That's encouraging, thanks.

I think that it is, I have searched around and have found many people with the same problem. If this was the only problem I probably would not take it in, but there is a gap between the glass and rubber surrounding the screen which lets dust in, and the hinge tends to creak.

I'll report back with what happens, I go to the genius bar in an hour :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.