PDA

View Full Version : Analyst: Apple 'poised to witness customer base expansion i...

MacBytes
Jun 23, 2004, 10:29 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Analyst: Apple \'poised to witness customer base expansion in the forthcoming quarters\' (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040623232913)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

ministerd
Jun 24, 2004, 02:46 AM
people slowly but surely getting hooked on apple...

Big things are definitely changing ahead..

if Apple could bring a headless mac for under $500..things would definitely change.....

bbarnhart
Jun 24, 2004, 06:38 AM
The problem with a low cost Mac is Apple would not have enough sales to make much of a profit. Dell and HP do not make money on their "US$499" systems. They make it on selling machines to businesses.

Also, some of those $499 Macs would take sales away from the $1999 PowerMacs.

markjones05
Jun 24, 2004, 06:43 AM
The problem with a low cost Mac is Apple would not have enough sales to make much of a profit. Dell and HP do not make money on their "US$499" systems. They make it on selling machines to businesses.

They make their money by advertising a 499$ machine, and then allowing the customer to upgrade whatever they want. By the time you get a machine that does what you need, your spending 800$.

reaper
Jun 24, 2004, 07:51 AM

I don't think that's right. The pro machines are "pro" because they cater to professionals looking for more power in their computers. Expandability is a consideration, but a headless mac that was slightly expandable would never truly compete with the pro line (both in speed and expandability because Apple would never let that happen).

It's like saying, "iMac sales take away from PowerMac sales because they are cheaper and people buy them who would otherwise buy a PowerMac." So Apple shouldn't make iMacs... or for that matter any computer other than PowerMacs. I just think it's shortsighted and careless to not market to the low-end market.

- reaper

Stella
Jun 24, 2004, 08:48 AM
I really don't think this is the case. People buy the Pro machine because they need the features. A $400 isn't going to have the memory and the quality components, i.e., high end graphic cards to do the job.

If apple made the $400 machine, even headless, a lot of people will go for this. For a lot of people the lowest priced apple is still too expensive... especially when they can get a PC for $500 ( and copy all their software from friends!! ). However, a $500 Apple will probably cut into the sales of iBooks and iMacs...

If Apple offered such a headless Apple for $500, I'd buy one very quickly. I cannot justify the cost of an iMac when I have an iBook. However, I would be willing to spend $500.. I have spare monitors too.

A cheap apple would see their marketshare increase. SJ states he's not too interested in marketshare.. bollocks!! Apple's investors are! What good is a company that sells top quality machines that have zero marketshare! None. Why would that company be in the business?

One other thing... when these so called analysts predict a rise in apple marketshare.. it never happens!

radhak
Jun 24, 2004, 09:27 AM
on the other hand, jumping from wintel to apple is easier with $499, and from then on its just upgrading to better Macs. so you might see more switchers. after all, many use computers just for browsing and emails, so a headless Mac for $499 would be manna. Just have one(or two) USB port, CD-Rom and 40GB HDD and you are good to go.

Never gonna happen, i know :(

Spazmodius
Jun 24, 2004, 10:23 AM
I see increasing market share is a good thing. What a concept.

It will be interesting to see how many Mac fanatics say "Yay!" to the news that Apple is "poised" in increase market share; and it will be more interesting to see how many of those, when earlier confronted with the problem of Apple's dwindling market share, said "Market share isn't important! All Apple needs to do is turn a profit! It's the BMW of PCs, and wintel is the Yugo, blah, blah, blah..."

nagromme
Jun 24, 2004, 02:27 PM
There's a difference between "a good thing" and "necessary."

No Ma user would deny that increased market share would be "good" for the platform. Most also know that it's not "necessary." If Apple is profitable and the number of Macs out there stays high, that number doesn't NEED to grow faster than the number of PCs grows.