Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
so I was bored tonight and was messing around in the terminal and discovered that I could access all of my iPod's music. I copied a few songs to make sure that they worked, (and of course they did) and thought "wouldn't that be cool if finder could do that?" So I made an applescript to do just that :D
with the fowloing script:

tell application "Finder" to quit
set OnOff to do shell script "defaults read com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles"
if OnOff = "NO" or OnOff = "OFF" then
set OnOff to "ON"
else
set OnOff to "OFF"
end if
do shell script "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles " & OnOff
tell application "Finder" to launch

Finder can now see hidden files, then locate the /Volumes/ipod name/iPod_control/Music
and whala!!!

you can now do some cool things.... for all those people whose computer died and they had music on their ipod, they can now access it. For legal issues do not use this for transferring songs that are not yours :rolleyes:

I will post screen shots

Edit: Does anyone now how to make things un-hidden so I can alway view my ipod music so I can turn off the view hidden files (gets annoying)???

Attachments

• ipod.jpg
    ipod.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,558

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Does anybody know the reasoning behind how the music is organized on the iPod? I've used Cocktail to do the same thing before and the music is in a million numbered folders, each with no more than about 40 songs in seemingly random order. It makes it hard to find what you're looking for--though maybe that's the point.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Horrortaxi said:
Does anybody know the reasoning behind how the music is organized on the iPod? I've used Cocktail to do the same thing before and the music is in a million numbered folders, each with no more than about 40 songs in seemingly random order. It makes it hard to find what you're looking for--though maybe that's the point.

i have also found that very annoying. why on earth the ipod cannot store music in the same directory structure as it is in the computer's music library? that would make sence to me. it must be an effort to make copying music more annoying, i can see no other logic.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Horrortaxi said:

Dont know the reasoning but I noticed it too. I accessed the iPod folders through terminal, and there were all those numbered folders. Making it impossible to do anything specific.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.