PDA

View Full Version : 3x iMac G5: All Broken, What to do?

Waterfiends
Aug 18, 2009, 06:04 AM
Recently i bought 3 copy's of an iMac G5. All of them have some problems.

I could u some advice how to fix them, so thatswhy i post here. Its ok to order some extra components, but I'll be glad if some Mac fixer's give their opinions

iMac G5, First revision, No iSight: Looks fine at first sight. Picked it up with Tiger installed. Re-installed Tiger at home, everything fine. The fans go louder after 40minutes. The first owner said after 30minutes the fans would go loud and it automaticly shut down. Could this be a defective fan?

Maybe its possible to buy this repair kit? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/iMac-Apple-G5-17-20-Capacitor-Logic-Board-Repair-Kit_W0QQitemZ350237671422QQcmdZViewItemQQptZApple_Desktops?hash=item518bcabffe&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

iMac G5, With iSight: Screen has a white stripe in it. Replace LCD?

iMac G5, With iSight: Appears to have no Operating System. When i boot from CD the fans go loud and nothing happens. Broken logic board?

Thanks for the advice!

GoCubsGo
Aug 18, 2009, 06:32 AM
Umm how much did you pay for three computers that were broken?

The fan issue could be a fan issue or a logic board issue. The screen issue could be a GPU issue. The last one could be similar to the first and no OS, you need to boot from the restore CDs you got with the computers and load that OS up.

I am hoping you paid nothing for all of these or next to that because it sounds like you're in for over a grand in repairs.

Waterfiends
Aug 18, 2009, 06:36 AM
Umm how much did you pay for three computers that were broken?

The fan issue could be a fan issue or a logic board issue. The screen issue could be a GPU issue. The last one could be similar to the first and no OS, you need to boot from the restore CDs you got with the computers and load that OS up.

I am hoping you paid nothing for all of these or next to that because it sounds like you're in for over a grand in repairs.

I didint pay that much, so dont worry.
None of them have the original CD's. I only have a retail leopard and tiger.

MTI
Aug 18, 2009, 12:23 PM
Have a look inside the non-iSight G5. There are three captive screws on the bottom edge. Loosen those and the whole back panel tilts away and then off. If you seen capacitor top leaks or bulges, the cap kit will likely do the trick for you.