PDA

View Full Version : delay of the 2.5 ghz?..again?

klaus
Jun 24, 2004, 02:16 AM
Croquer reports that they only have 1000 of them in stock right now, they are expecting another batch of 10000 at the end of july, if that's true, it will be mid august until they are shipped..

Don't really believe it though, would they make the same mistakes ALL over again? :confused:

but then again, croquer has predicted 3 ghz pmac as well, as well as the ppc 975 etc, and all those other faulthy rumors

source (in french) : http://croquer.free.fr (anyone care to translate it correctly, please do so :))

Veldek
Jun 24, 2004, 04:49 AM
Please not, I want mine before my birthday. My shipping date says August, 2nd, but I hoped it would arrive earlier than this...

klaus
Jun 24, 2004, 04:52 AM
Please not, I want mine before my birthday. My shipping date says August, 2nd, but I hoped it would arrive earlier than this...

I find it weird that with the announcement Apple shouted they would ship in july, their press release mentions this as well, but as soon as people start to place orders, they are reporting a shipping date between aug 2nd and 8th, some have been set to 30 july, but not all of them.. What's up with their logistics system?

I would almost take the word 'lie' into my mouth.. (sst)

Zaty
Jun 24, 2004, 05:57 AM
I find it weird that with the announcement Apple shouted they would ship in july, their press release mentions this as well, but as soon as people start to place orders, they are reporting a shipping date between aug 2nd and 8th, some have been set to 30 july, but not all of them.. What's up with their logistics system?

I would almost take the word 'lie' into my mouth.. (sst)

Well, if the first batch shipps on July 31, there won't be any problems :D

Did you really believe you would get your PM next month? (Sorry to be harsh but you have to be relastic). To be honest, I doubted Apple would be able to keep that July shipping date the very moment I read it. It's always the same with Apple, especially if you live outside the US. E.g. here in Switzerland, many pepole who orered iBooks G4 Rev. in November had to wait until mid February, same with Rev. B PBs. (The situation was much better with Rev. B iBooks/Rev. C PBs, though)

klaus
Jun 24, 2004, 06:29 AM
I know we have to be realistic but than apple should be realistic too, no?
No matter what is realistic or not, most people (general public) will pinpoint their thoughts on july, wether it's realistic or not, just because Apple told them too, and what other choice do they have besides believe it?

varmit
Jun 24, 2004, 07:46 AM
that maybe a lot of people ordered one right away, and you can only ship so much on the last days of July, thus going over into the first days of August. Plus they had the Army order to fill which is taking up inventory, and I suspect there are some other large orders of just the normal G5 from higher ups than normal citizens that Apple wants to keep happy with a good dilivery date. At least this time the anouncement and the ship date is close to being a month apart unlike with most things Apple ships.

They anounce, see how many get ordered, then they start to produce the product (as in order parts and put them together) and ship it so they don't over stock. I think this is how they are working things now a days.

klaus
Jun 24, 2004, 07:48 AM
The army order is for Xserve's I guess, no pmac's at 2.5.

Oh well, time will tell I guess, I can always claim a rebate when shipping dates are two weeks later or something :)

reaper
Jun 24, 2004, 07:57 AM
that maybe a lot of people ordered one right away, and you can only ship so much on the last days of July, thus going over into the first days of August. Plus they had the Army order to fill which is taking up inventory, and I suspect there are some other large orders of just the normal G5 from higher ups than normal citizens that Apple wants to keep happy with a good dilivery date. At least this time the anouncement and the ship date is close to being a month apart unlike with most things Apple ships.

They anounce, see how many get ordered, then they start to produce the product (as in order parts and put them together) and ship it so they don't over stock. I think this is how they are working things now a days.

Right, but the point is that Apple knows there is going to be a considerable number of orders for their product and they need to take that into consideration when drafting media releases. Why not announce an August ship date, and then if not many people order, move it up to July. Apple simply needs to be more realistic with its customers.

- reaper

Zaty
Jun 24, 2004, 11:26 AM
I know we have to be realistic but than apple should be realistic too, no?
No matter what is realistic or not, most people (general public) will pinpoint their thoughts on july, wether it's realistic or not, just because Apple told them too, and what other choice do they have besides believe it?

I couldn't agree more but then we can't help accepting the fact Apple's proposed shipping dates tend to slip.