Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
So sometimes I am in a shopping mall and I can't find where my girlfirend is so I can get her to leave as I kill time someplace. We both have new iPhones. I was wondering if there was app out there or maybe in the works that uses GPS so I could locate exactly where she is located. I know I can just call her or text her, but I thought something like this would be fun to use. Is there such an app?

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Check out HeyWAY (Hey, Where Are You?). It's an opt in type of GPS tracker, you can configure it to let only those you want see where you are. It seems to work although I have yet to find anyone who is willing to add me to the their tracking.

My wife doesn't have an iPhone yet. :(

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I'd be curious to see if the accuracy of the GPS was decent enough to work for that (being indoors and all...)

strike1555

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
I don't think it would be very practical because she would have to also have the app on at the same time. And of course to tell her to turn the app on you would have to call/txt her.

I suppose you could jailbreak and background the app. But getting such an accurate indoor signal on the iPhone is not likely.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
sounds to me like the shopping thing is just a story concocted for us... what you really want to do is spy on her.... perhaps because you don't trust her?

do the QUICKER and EASIER thing and call her and ask her which store she is in......

Maverickster

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
I don't think it would be very practical because she would have to also have the app on at the same time. And of course to tell her to turn the app on you would have to call/txt her.

I suppose you could jailbreak and background the app. But getting such an accurate indoor signal on the iPhone is not likely.

That's kind of a given at this point isn't it? Regardless of the pretense, though, there have to be apps out there that do this, right? I'd probably look for an app targeted at parents of teenagers -- that's the snoopiest relationship going. Alternatively, you might want to give that Latitude idea a shot. It's web-based so it runs in Safari and I know Safari can run in the background, but I don't know if Latitude runs in the background when the browser is closed....it might, though, or, you might be able to set it to.

--Mav

thomashk

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
BindoGPS allows live tracking of your friends. Though it's more meant for outdoor activities.
iTunes Link

With Messi.im you can send a MMS-like messages between iPhones incl. location and picture. Might be more helpful inside a shopping mall.
iTunes Link

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.