Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Hi,

I've been roaming my computer for ages trying to find the .ipsw file for my 2nd gen iPod touch running OS 3.0. It was a refurbished iPod I got after a repair and when I updated (by clicking 'Buy' - update was free, obviously) everything worked, except the file doesn't seem to be where it should be and I can't find.

I'm referring to: iPod2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw

Does anyone know where I can find this?

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
On a Mac or on a PC? On a Mac they're in ~/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates. On a XP machine C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates. For Vista C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates.

Gregoros

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
After i synced my Touch today, i noticed these restore files in my trash:

iPod2,1_2.2_5G77a_Restore.ipsw
iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11a_Restore.ipsw
iPod2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw

Is there any reason to keep them?

azjimb

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2009

YES, there is. - I am new to the Forum and just noticed your question.

I am currently going crazy trying to restore an older OS for testing. It seems that everytime the OS is updated, iTunes/Apple dumps the replaced OS to trash. Now, I have error messages that Xcode is not compatible with 3.1.1 and I should restore an older version. But, I have no older version to restore.

I was frustrated with the problem until I saw your message. Then I checked my own trash and found my last 2 .ipsw files. Good thing I did not empty my trash.

Now, I will start backing up my .ipsw files to protect my ability to restore older OS versions. I don't why Apple asks if I want to restore an older version when Apple throws my older versions into trach.

Gregoros

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008

I am currently going crazy trying to restore an older OS for testing. It seems that everytime the OS is updated, iTunes/Apple dumps the replaced OS to trash. Now, I have error messages that Xcode is not compatible with 3.1.1 and I should restore an older version. But, I have no older version to restore.

I was frustrated with the problem until I saw your message. Then I checked my own trash and found my last 2 .ipsw files. Good thing I did not empty my trash.

Now, I will start backing up my .ipsw files to protect my ability to restore older OS versions. I don't why Apple asks if I want to restore an older version when Apple throws my older versions into trach.

Ok, i'll keep 'em around for now.

csnplt

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2008
Chicago Area

No need to keep them. Here's a great web site with links to almost all firmwares for all of the iPods, as well as the iPod touch and iPhone. I've used it so many times; it's very handy.

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

coldpower27

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I wish I had the original firmware that came with my IPod Touch 3G I can't use it write now as it won't update and is stuck at the...

Preparing iPod Touch software for restore...

csnplt

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2008
Chicago Area

coldpower27

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Toronto, Canada
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...090918.23GhT/iPod3,1_3.1.1_7C146_Restore.ipsw

That's for the 3G iPod touch, version 3.1.1 software. It's what came with it. If you still can't get it to restore, put it in DFU mode and try again.

Oh, so 3.1.1 is what came with it, then I have already tired that Firmware with no success also already tried DFU mode still with no success. I am so unhappy with this product, just bought it too. Gonna have to return it do an exchange at BestBuy I guess.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008

Did you try updating your Xcode? A new build of OS 3.1.1 and XCode 3.2 came out just the other day this week.

mifistho

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009

Thanks for your sharing. Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

azjimb

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2009
No need to keep them. Here's a great web site with links to almost all firmwares for all of the iPods, as well as the iPod touch and iPhone. I've used it so many times; it's very handy.

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

csnplt, thanks for the link. It might be very important someday.

Did you try updating your Xcode? A new build of OS 3.1.1 and XCode 3.2 came out just the other day this week.

7even, thanks for the thought, but I have a different issue. My provisioning profile appears to be locked to my OS build version.

Neither 3.1.1 nor 2.2.1 was recognized by my provisioning profile. But, when I installed 3.0, My provisioning profile worked properly. I am disappointed that I could not easily drop back to an older OS version, but I did not want to disrupt what's currently on the app store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.