Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celticpride678

Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I know I have wanted to send attachments to people that I have PM'd on the site and couldn't. I think that vBulletin should allow attachments. What is holding them back? Would you like it? Post back your thoughts! Thanks.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
My thought, misuse of the feature i.e., sending explicit imagery. I don't believe the mods generally see what gets sent back and forth over PM unless they're notified. People may also send copyrighted items (music) to one another.

celticpride678

Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
My thought, misuse of the feature i.e., sending explicit imagery. I don't believe the mods generally see what gets sent back and forth over PM unless they're notified. People may also send copyrighted items (music) to one another.

I understand your first point, but I think vBulletin could allow only specific files types, like .PNG or .JPEG

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Post #2 makes the most sense.

OP, any reason for the high number of threads you're starting tonight?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Like I said, vBulletin can block certain files types.

While it can block file types, people can change extensions to files to get around that. File size would also limit this, but overall it just opens potential legal issues I'm sure MR would like to avoid. Members can exchange alternative contact info if they really need to share files. People can also post the images or whatever on other sites and link to them if need be.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Post #2 makes the most sense.

OP, any reason for the high number of threads you're starting tonight?

I want to know what his "motivation" is for starting all the new threads. j/k OP, inside joke between jessica and I. :)

I agree with the 2nd post also. I can see that being totally misused by some of the "kids" on here. Crude pics, etc. can come just from a jpg. I think if you want an attachment you can just link to some site where you have them.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
I did think that you could though.

Another abuse method:

Attach it to PM's on a dummy account then link to it off another site. Free unlimited image hosting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.