PDA

View Full Version : New Mac OS X Setup Assistant lets you upgrade to a new Mac f...

MacBytes
Jun 24, 2004, 10:49 AM
Category: Apple Software
Link: New Mac OS X Setup Assistant lets you upgrade to a new Mac from another Mac OS X machine. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040624114914)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

LeeTom
Jun 24, 2004, 10:50 AM
wow... that is great!

Mudbug
Jun 24, 2004, 10:52 AM
my little personal experience with this... :(

I have (had) and old G3/300 minitower that I replaced this week with a revB Dual 1.8 G5 (go me!) and really wanted to take advantage of this little feature. THE PROBLEM which will only apply to folks with really "older" equipment like mine, is that if your machine doesn't support booting in FireWire Target Disk mode, this won't work. Unfortunately the machine can't do the process over ethernet, so I've spent the last 2 days or so (off and on) moving my stuff from old to new, piece by piece.

That being said, if you have a newer mac, this should be one of the least painful ways of upgrading from one computer to the next that has yet been thought up.

kewpid
Jun 24, 2004, 11:05 AM
Why is it only available to the new Powermac G5 line?

Wigletbill
Jun 24, 2004, 11:21 AM
Tranferring from a dualie 1.42 G4... sure would be nice to have the fw800 transfer capabilities. Anyone think that is possible with this software?

Bendit
Jun 24, 2004, 11:21 AM

Probably purely to boost sales of the G5.

SpamJunkie
Jun 24, 2004, 11:25 AM

What, they'd like me to have bought a G5 instead of my powerbook?

Sounds like another instance of Apple doing whatever it takes to get more money out of their users.

Mudbug
Jun 24, 2004, 11:47 AM

It's the first thing that pops up on the screen when you startup a new G5, so it's been worked into the startup sequence. It'll probably make it's way into the other machines as they are revised, which, if the rumors are true, won't be long now (for the imac, at least - powerbook, who knows).

TylerL
Jun 24, 2004, 12:25 PM
The only reason this is just available on the new G5s is because that was the only product announcement since the new setup assistant was developed.
I'll bet you all the money in my left pocket that any new Mac revisions from here on out will have this feature as well.

EDIT: Looks like I was beaten...by a while. :p

wHo_tHe
Jun 24, 2004, 12:37 PM
Why not just write an app that we can all use? Migrating one large HD to another is a real pain. Bad Apple. Bad Apple.

NP3
Jun 24, 2004, 01:13 PM
first thing that came to my mind is eventually being able to transfer stuff to your ipod. Not much difference from transfering and backing up :)

Ya, write this for all Machines!!

I read this and at first i thought...oh cool, when i get my powerbook...ehhh crud. oh well.

x86isslow
Jun 24, 2004, 01:36 PM
What, they'd like me to have bought a G5 instead of my powerbook?

Sounds like another instance of Apple doing whatever it takes to get more money out of their users.

or to put another spin on it, Apple is trying to sell more of its products, and is concentrating on a line whose sales looked anemic compared to expectations.

Either that, or they are trying to accelerate the process towards 64-bit, so eventually, they can release a 64-bit OS. In which case, I would think any future G5 powered computers will be included in this feature.

joelc
Jun 24, 2004, 01:44 PM
Since it's probably not Apple's intention to force us to buy G5s (and instead the simpler reason that the G5s are the newest), would it be so bad for someone to distribute this online? It's not commercially available software like FCP, it's a little app that you use only once. I'm going to be buying a 1.5 GHz Powerbook soon, and Apple would probably be A-OK with this loyal customer using the new version of the setup assistant. So, anyone with a new G5 care to get a copy of this to the rest of us? Or am I going to get lots of angry replies?

Mudbug
Jun 24, 2004, 02:10 PM
Since it's probably not Apple's intention to force us to buy G5s (and instead the simpler reason that the G5s are the newest), would it be so bad for someone to distribute this online? It's not commercially available software like FCP, it's a little app that you use only once. I'm going to be buying a 1.5 GHz Powerbook soon, and Apple would probably be A-OK with this loyal customer using the new version of the setup assistant. So, anyone with a new G5 care to get a copy of this to the rest of us? Or am I going to get lots of angry replies?

no angry replies - but the thing of it is that it works on the initial setup of the machine, so running it after the fact would probably destroy the settings you've already made on the machine.

Chip NoVaMac
Jun 24, 2004, 02:30 PM

i hope that this feature finds it way into the new G5 iMacs if and when they come available.

It is one of the reasons that i would consider "upgrading" my PB 12" rev. b at this time.

Chip NoVaMac
Jun 24, 2004, 02:32 PM
It's the first thing that pops up on the screen when you startup a new G5, so it's been worked into the startup sequence. It'll probably make it's way into the other machines as they are revised, which, if the rumors are true, won't be long now (for the imac, at least - powerbook, who knows).

I just hope that the software police don't kill this.

Mudbug
Jun 24, 2004, 02:56 PM

software police? I don't follow...

Photorun
Jun 24, 2004, 03:29 PM

Do you mean "Karma Police"

joelc
Jun 24, 2004, 04:05 PM
no angry replies - but the thing of it is that it works on the initial setup of the machine, so running it after the fact would probably destroy the settings you've already made on the machine.

That's fine. I'm going to be buying a brand new PB, so it won't have too many settings to erase. I'll just get it on my network to copy the OS Setup Assistant and go from there. There won't be anything on it I care about losing. I've got tons of settings on my old iMac that are important to me not to have to redo. I've been using this thing for a few years now and have it filled with files, users, etc. that would be a real pain to copy by hand. This thing is perfect for me. So how about someone making it available on the web?

Chip NoVaMac
Jun 24, 2004, 04:09 PM
software police? I don't follow...

I was referring to the software group like the RIAA that seems hell bent on preventing legitimate use of what we have purchased.

Some software manufactures allow a notebook and desktop computer loading of a single license. What Apple is allowing is for a desktop user to transfer everything (including apps) to another desktop system. I can se the handwriting on the wall by some to prohibit such a transfer.

Chip NoVaMac
Jun 24, 2004, 04:11 PM
That's fine. I'm going to be buying a brand new PB, so it won't have too many settings to erase. I'll just get it on my network to copy the OS Setup Assistant and go from there. There won't be anything on it I care about losing. I've got tons of settings on my old iMac that are important to me not to have to redo. I've been using this thing for a few years now and have it filled with files, users, etc. that would be a real pain to copy by hand. This thing is perfect for me. So how about someone making it available on the web?

For me it is more about saving time from having to find the disks and reinstall all the software on a new system. This assistant is a blessing, and one reason that I might choose the PM G%'s over a G5 iMac.

macridah
Jun 24, 2004, 04:22 PM
This sounds like neat tool. I was going to burn my home directory and files and folders from my iBook on a dvd, and transfer it to my *future* G5 (Power Mac or iMac). This will definitely send some files over that I might of missed when creating a DVD.