Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
Just wanted to post a bit about how Navigon works when a call, SMS, or IM comes in while using Navigon. I've seen some questions on how this works in various threads, and some confusion in the responses on the way Navigon works.

Tested this yesterday on a 2 hour trip. While my iPhone is JB'n, I was not using BackGrounder at the time, so this is how Navigon will work on a non JB'n iPhone.

When you are using Navigon, and a call comes in, you can 'Accept' or 'Decline' the call. If you decline the call, Navigon keeps going. If you accept the call, you start talking with your caller, and Navigon 'quits'. As soon as you end the call, Navigon restarts on it's own (you DON'T have to restart it) where it left off and resumes. It may take a couple of seconds for Navigon to lock back on the GPS signal, but it does and 'catches up'. It may give an erroneous direction. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It's never caused me any problems with navigating. But if you are in a congested and/or densely populated area (like downtown area), you probably want to decline the call if the directions are important to you.

If an SMS or IM (using Beejive for example) is received, and you choose to 'view' the message, Navigon quits, and will not resume. You have to restart it. If you choose, 'Close' then Navigon just keeps going.

Navigon also seems to have a 'remembered state' for a certain length of time. If it hasn't been too long (don't know the timer length), and all you do is reply to a IM or SMS, once you restart Navigon, it will remember where it was and continue. Same goes for phone calls you make and return to Navigon.

Now, if you are JB'n and using backgrounder in any of the above situations, Navigon never quits, it just keeps going. During a call, it will still make announcements. I don't know if the announcements are heard by the caller...forgot to ask them.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
When you are using Navigon, and a call comes in, you can 'Accept' or 'Decline' the call. If you decline the call, Navigon keeps going. If you accept the call, you start talking with your caller, and Navigon 'quits'. As soon as you end the call, Navigon restarts on it's own (you DON'T have to restart it) where it left off and resumes. It may take a couple of seconds for Navigon to lock back on the GPS signal, but it does and 'catches up'. It may give an erroneous direction. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It's never caused me any problems with navigating. But if you are in a congested and/or densely populated area (like downtown area), you probably want to decline the call if the directions are important to you.

Also note that once you answer the call you can go back into Navigon while still on the call. I used this on a conference call yesterday where i was conferenced in, took the call while using my navigon, went right back into it and had the call on speaker while i was driving. The navigon directions will be said over the call (but unlike using the ipod function where the song volume is lowered so you can hear the directions, the phone call is not lowered as it shouldnt be). You will get the green bar on top of your phone to show you a call is active. You can always get back to the phone part by clicking on the green bar as is the same with any app. If the call ends, you can just let the phone hang up and you will not be taken out of the navigon app.

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
Yeah, only heard by you. Good stuff.

Cool. Good to know.

Now if only Apple would fix that issue for alarms that go off during a call. Back on 2.1, I set up a recurring alarm to go off at 2:45pm every weekday (during the school year). It's set to 'dog bark'. I had two callers tell me that they hear it....But, I've since updated to 3.0.1, and haven't retested (school starts next week). We'll see.

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
Also note that once you answer the call you can go back into Navigon while still on the call. I used this on a conference call yesterday where i was conferenced in, took the call while using my navigon, went right back into it and had the call on speaker while i was driving. The navigon directions will be said over the call (but unlike using the ipod function where the song volume is lowered so you can hear the directions, the phone call is not lowered as it shouldnt be). You will get the green bar on top of your phone to show you a call is active. You can always get back to the phone part by clicking on the green bar as is the same with any app. If the call ends, you can just let the phone hang up and you will not be taken out of the navigon app.

Thanks for posting that. Good stuff. Hadn't tried that. I almost always forget that you can get back to springboard to do other things while on a call.

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
I can confirm the described behavior is consistent with that of iGO My Way as well.

Great. I'd have bought iGo if I'd not already had Navigon. I just don't like iGo's comicy (to me) looking buildings....

Anyone confirm or explain how this works on the other GPS apps? Maybe I can get the thread title changed.

ufotofu

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
Alk Copilot is similar. After hanging up after a call while CoPilot is running returns you to the splash screen, which you then manually have to click to exit from, but then you resume with the previous routing. This is apparently going to be fixed in the next update of the program.

With Copilot running with backgrounder activated, after a call is finished, Copilot resumes automatically without going to the splash screen, but at least the one time I tried this, I lost the voice turn-by-turn instructions and had to restart the program.

Great. I'd have bought iGo if I'd not already had Navigon. I just don't like iGo's comicy (to me) looking buildings....

Anyone confirm or explain how this works on the other GPS apps? Maybe I can get the thread title changed.

funnyboy88

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
What happens if

- You're using Navigon
- You get a call (Navigon quits)
- You manually re-open Navigon DURING the phone call

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I originally had this setup, and it obviously wasn't working for me, so I JB'd and used Backgrounder...best iPhone GPS Setup ever, and it keeps giving me nav instructions over my Bluetooth when I am on the call, when I hang up, it will continue to give instructions over the car's speakers.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I un-jailbreaked my phone today. For some reason with only SBSettings and Backgrounder installed it was going through battery like crazy. The 3GS opens up Navigon really quickly anyway, and with the pending update that will allow ipod control from within Navigon I really don't need it to run in the background.

But now I can't run Trapster alongside Navigon. Oh well :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.