PDA

View Full Version : Get changes in viewing to "stick" (stay in column view in finder, etc.)

dontmatter
Jun 24, 2004, 01:34 PM
I'm helping a friend set up his computer and feeling like such a fool, because I'm continually switching to column mode, moving word documents down so he can have a toolbar and be able to minimize (and resizing it to fit when lower, too), moving the print window, etc. I know that these settings stick if the window keeps being put back in the same spot, etc. but 1-I want it now, and 2-I move it once, he uses the computer for a week, I come back, and do it again...so it will never stick this way.

How do tell the computer, dont' revert to the default, but make this the default? I'm so sick of seeing things in icon mode in finder, but every single time I come back, it's back in icon mode (and he isn't changing it, just taking what is there when he turns on his computer)

jxyama
Jun 24, 2004, 02:16 PM
i don't think there is a way. this is one of the classic problems with the Finder: it can't make up its mind whether it's a file browser (like windows, the way i personally prefer it to be) or a virtual representation of the file system (like OS9). it's a weird hybrid at this time, and frankly, it is rather awful.

not sure what can be done, other than manually changing the finder setting and closing the window so it will remember. column view can be specified for all new windows under one of finder options.

repairing permissions should help the settings stick as well.

7on
Jun 24, 2004, 02:24 PM
I think it's a case of the .DS_Store files overriding the defaults. Download Cocktail and in it there should be an option to delete all .DS_Store files on a volume. Do that and setting your default should work.

And yes, I believe Apple should fix this. I'd say by getting rid of .DS_Store files unless you specify to create one (I.e. a toolbar item saying customize this folder).

crackpip
Jun 24, 2004, 02:50 PM
The window mode seems to be determined by the .DS_Store file for directory that will be top-most in the new window. So if you have a view (size, shape, mode, etc.) you prefer, set new windows to automatically go to a folder, like your home directory, that has the view you like. In order to set the view, open a new window pointing to the folder. Then, resize, etc. the window. Now open another new one, and it should keep your viewing prefs.

crackpip