PDA

View Full Version : iPhone in Short Supply in Canada and Australia

MacRumors
Aug 19, 2009, 12:20 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/19/iphone-in-short-supply-in-canada-and-australia/)

The Globe and Mail reports (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/its-getting-hard-to-find-an-iphone-in-canada/article1255054/) that Rogers Wireless, the exclusive carrier for the iPhone in Canada has run out of stock of all iPhone models, notifying potential customers that they may have to wait several weeks before availability resumes.Rogers is advising shoppers that it is out of stock of Apple's latest device, the iPhone 3GS, which was launched in June, as well as earlier models introduced last summer. The wireless carrier is telling visitors to its website that the newest device will be available again in the coming weeks. Rogers' discount brand, Fido, is also out of stock, although some Fido stores said they had older devices, with significantly less memory, available.A Rogers spokesperson notes that while the company does have additional stock coming in on a regular basis, that supply is primarily being used to fill back orders, leading to delayed shipments for those ordering at this time. Apple has reportedly maintained a steady supply of iPhones to its own retail stores in Canada, evidently taking care of its own needs as a first priority before distributing the remainder of its Canadian iPhone allocation to Rogers.

The report also notes that Australia has also run dry of iPhones in recent weeks as Apple struggles to satisfy demand. Apple noted on its most recent earnings conference call (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/21/apple-reports-1-23-billion-profit-for-q3-2009-best-non-holiday-quarter-ever/) last month that supplies of the iPhone 3GS were constrained in the wake of robust demand.

Article Link: iPhone in Short Supply in Canada and Australia (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/19/iphone-in-short-supply-in-canada-and-australia/)

SFStateStudent
Aug 19, 2009, 12:28 PM
Hopefully they'll produce more and sell them in time for next year's new iPhone. Kinda' typical Apple though, taking care of their OWN first...

casik
Aug 19, 2009, 12:30 PM
the store i work for has the 3GS in stock

PygmySurfer
Aug 19, 2009, 12:51 PM
I ordered my 3GS Upgrade from Rogers on June 26th, and I've still not received it.

Nicky G
Aug 19, 2009, 12:52 PM
3GS FTW! I knew 3GS would do well, but I didn't think it would be doing THIS well. Pretty crazy to think about.

venasque
Aug 19, 2009, 01:01 PM
Why stock Apple stores in Canada (not that there are many) when average consumer is going to need to go through Rogers anyway? Is there an actual reason for this, other than greed (which is what is coming to mind).

I put my order in on July 2 and also don't have mine yet. If on Sept 15, Telus does annouce they are getting the iphone I might just cancel my order and stay with them. Even if I have to wait. As it is I'm going to be spending $300 to break my contract. If that is the case this short supply will literally have cost Rogers a client.

Tsuius
Aug 19, 2009, 02:07 PM
I have received a 3GS in August 3 days after the order was placed with Fido. They sent the wrong colour and again sent the right colour 4 days later even though they told me one the phone it would be weeks before I would see a shipment.

So, the phone reps seem to tell you one thing and the actual shipments arrive right away. For people waiting since June I would call somebody.
Both Rogers and Fido iPhone shipments come from the same warehouse.

venasque
Aug 19, 2009, 03:11 PM
So, the phone reps seem to tell you one thing and the actual shipments arrive right away. For people waiting since June I would call somebody. Both Rogers and Fido iPhone shipments come from the same warehouse.

I did call after a month to make sure I hadn't slipped through the cracks. My account was there in pending status waiting only on the iphone to come in before moving to the next stage. :(

wunderbaren
Aug 19, 2009, 03:18 PM
It's the same in Sweden, it's totally out of stock, it's 3-4 weeks waiting line, it's crazy!!

casik
Aug 19, 2009, 04:12 PM
Last time I checked the Apple Stores in Canada don't sell the iPhone 3GS. You have to buy one through Fido or Rogers. So no iPhones in stock for Rogers and Fido mean no iPhones at all.

Scottyk9
Aug 19, 2009, 04:15 PM
Last time I checked the Apple Stores in Canada don't sell the iPhone 3GS. You have to buy one through Fido or Rogers. So no iPhones in stock for Rogers and Fido mean no iPhones at all.

Nope, they sell them at the Apple store, and will configure your account on Rogers / Fido. Buying my 3GS was easier at the Apple store than through the Rogers kiosk for the 3G.

iphones4evry1
Aug 19, 2009, 05:09 PM
It's a product refresh, guys. There's a new iPhone coming on September 7. :apple:

Boomchukalaka
Aug 19, 2009, 05:40 PM
I find it hard to believe after roll outs of two iPhone models in the past two years (US) that Apple has somehow miscalculated the demand for the 3GS when it was made available this summer. IMO the shortage of iPhones worldwide has more to do with the much rumored 5 million handsets ordered by China Telecom than any other factor.

casik: Where are you located?

venasque: Why do you think Telus will be carrying the iPhone? Did I miss news Rogers had lost it's exclusive carrier deal while I was on vacation?

onemilkid
Aug 19, 2009, 06:33 PM
I am German living in sydney. And I can only report, that they are selling this thing like crazy. On the subway it seems as every second person has got one by now.

It is very easy to get one: It comes free on most big contracts with four carriers, is avaliable on prepay at three carriers and from now on you can buy it unlocked straight from the Apple Store for a reasonable price.

The world can only hope that this way of selling catches on soon.

SimonTheSoundMa
Aug 19, 2009, 06:44 PM
This has been the case in the UK since the 3GS launched. I know three people who had to wait 2-3 weeks for a 3GS, last got his last week.

zentraedi
Aug 19, 2009, 07:49 PM
Japan is similar unless you are a new customer.

batchtaster
Aug 19, 2009, 07:57 PM
I've been waiting since July 8th.

Sheradon
Aug 19, 2009, 08:46 PM
This is a bogus statement
Apple has reportedly maintained a steady supply of iPhones to its own retail stores in Canada, evidently taking care of its own needs as a first priority before distributing the remainder of its Canadian iPhone allocation to Rogers
Contrary to the USA Apple does not sell it's own IPhone. They do demonstrate the product but there is no process to buy at Apple and register the phone at either Rogers or Fido.

Only Rogers or Fido can sell the phone.

alphaod
Aug 19, 2009, 09:03 PM
They probably sell out quickly in Australia because people in China are importing them like crazy.

Scottyk9
Aug 19, 2009, 09:06 PM
Apple has reportedly maintained a steady supply of iPhones to its own retail stores in Canada, evidently taking care of its own needs as a first priority before distributing the remainder of its Canadian iPhone allocation to Rogers
Contrary to the USA Apple does not sell it's own IPhone. They do demonstrate the product but there is no process to buy at Apple and register the phone at either Rogers or Fido.

Thats funny because I purchased and activated a 3GS at an Apple store in Canada a few months ago.

(although Apple stores did not sell or activate the iPhone when it was 1st introduced - that is, when they 1st began selling the 3G)

candan9019
Aug 19, 2009, 09:48 PM

You're the second person to say this before checking your facts, YES YOU CAN. They will activate your account on Rogers/Fido and everything.

They started offering it at the Apple Stores when they introduced the 3GS.

franzmueller
Aug 19, 2009, 09:50 PM
Here in Spain , I am waiting for my S 16 gb since launch day ..... :mad:

makingdots
Aug 19, 2009, 11:14 PM
include Philippines as well, lots here did reserved since July 15 for July 31 launch but still lots of them didnt get their 3GS until now.

akislot
Aug 20, 2009, 12:09 AM
My friend walked into a Fido store Monday night and picked up a 32GB 3GS with no problem. Apple Store said you could get one if you have a personal shopping appointment, so he went down to Fido (Eaton Centre) and walked out 10 minutes later with it.

Ivan P
Aug 20, 2009, 12:29 AM
It's definitely very popular in Australia. When I got my 3GS barely three weeks ago, they only had 5 left and had gotten stock in only the day before. In the twenty minutes I was in the store (it was a Telstra Store, which is usually particularly quiet, not an Apple Store) there was at least 2 other people that enquired about it, and one of them had theirs set up at the same time as me.

tazambo
Aug 20, 2009, 12:38 AM
Just rang a large Telstra dealer in Launceston, Tasmania, Aust.

They have very recently been told the wait is going to mostly likely be another 5+ weeks from this week. I've already been waiting 4 weeks.

Not good enough Apple....

maghemi
Aug 20, 2009, 12:41 AM
Even the apple stores themselves are selling our quickly here. I bought mine from the Apple store at 10:30 in the morning and got the last one they had in stock. Apparently they were getting stock in virtually daily at the time as well.

iCantwait
Aug 20, 2009, 01:35 AM
tha actual apple stores seem to now be getting a constant flow of iPhones in daily now - unlike whe they first started selling them unlocked. but all the carriers are struggling to keep up with demand

iphones4evry1
Aug 20, 2009, 03:31 AM
in sydney. they are selling this thing like crazy.

It is very easy to get one: It comes free on most big contracts with four carriers, is available on prepay at three carriers and from now on you can buy it unlocked straight from the Apple Store for a reasonable price.

If Apple had only been this nice to the people in their own country. :(
You have so many options for carriers and plans. Maybe I should pack up my bags and move to Sydney.

Aug 20, 2009, 06:01 AM
You can add Denmark to the list where everything 3GS is sold out!

venasque
Aug 20, 2009, 10:26 AM
venasque: Why do you think Telus will be carrying the iPhone? Did I miss news Rogers had lost it's exclusive carrier deal while I was on vacation?

Unfortunatly I don't have any concrete information. There have been rumours of course (some say the exclusive deal was only temporary) and a comment on Boy Genius Report (http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/08/18/rogers-new-hup-policy-doesnt-discriminate-screws-everyone/#comment-576736) made it sound like a given. Telus has been advertising a big announcement on Sept 15.

So basically there is a lot of talk and speculation, but no actual facts yet.

wschutz
Aug 20, 2009, 11:45 AM
It's the same in Sweden, it's totally out of stock, it's 3-4 weeks waiting line, it's crazy!!

Are you sure? Because the Telia's status website (http://www.teliaiphoneblog.se/?page_id=218) for the iPhone deiveries doesn't say so, at least for the white models (though the black ones seem to be problematic).

I'm coming back to Sweden on Saturday, and I plan on getting a 32 GB unit (I don't really care about the colour to be honest), and I hope I can get it in less than a week.
The contract in Spain (where I lived till this last year) for the iPhone is one of the worst I've ever seen and it seems the telecom (Telefónica) stores get very few units per day/week, so it's a no for an unknown waiting queue and a crappy contract.

I wonder if this lack of supply is going to worsen in 2-3 weeks because people are getting back to work after holidays, and given that the phone was released in Europe practically at the beginning/middle of summer, then, many will start the hunting for one :)
So... you'd better place your order soon :P

keithfer15
Aug 20, 2009, 12:02 PM
Not only in the europe, usa or autralia this iPhone have had a lot of marketing and promotions and are really spreading fast however there are many many duplicate devices rising which even provides touch screen features

trainguy77
Aug 20, 2009, 06:55 PM
I put my order in on July 2 and also don't have mine yet. If on Sept 15, Telus does annouce they are getting the iphone I might just cancel my order and stay with them. Even if I have to wait. As it is I'm going to be spending $300 to break my contract. If that is the case this short supply will literally have cost Rogers a client.

Its better off to phone around until you find one. Thats what I did I found on July 30 the first day my telus contract was up. You just have to phone around but you can find them. Not easy though.

From what I have heard telus should be offering then october or november. I heard this from someone who works for Telus in communications. If its true I don't know. But it would make sense.

Chundles
Aug 20, 2009, 06:59 PM
You have so many options for carriers and plans.

Yeah, we can choose to be shafted with a rusty pole or with TWO rusty poles... :o

Only good thing is outright unlocked purchasing from Apple.

Thex1138
Aug 21, 2009, 12:14 AM
Anyone know the total numbers sold in Australia?
Is it above 500,000 units?

Thex1138
Aug 21, 2009, 12:17 AM
I am German living in sydney. And I can only report, that they are selling this thing like crazy. On the subway it seems as every second person has got one by now.

It is very easy to get one: It comes free on most big contracts with four carriers, is avaliable on prepay at three carriers and from now on you can buy it unlocked straight from the Apple Store for a reasonable price.

Yes, trains, buses... every where... [of course I'm carrying as well] but yeah almost every trip on transport or walking... it's either iPhone or iPod.

PindaKaas
Aug 21, 2009, 07:32 AM
Yesterday, I ordered an iPhone 3GS 16 GB. In The Netherlands, we have to wait about 8 weeks! :eek: (t-mobile). Wish me luck... :(

Hamish
Aug 22, 2009, 01:32 AM
I am in brisbane, australia,
took a couple of weeks for my 3gs 16gb white to turn up
but I imagine if your waiting for a 32gb black you'll be waiting
for a looooong time.

retroneo
Aug 22, 2009, 03:32 AM
Anyone know the total numbers sold in Australia?
Is it above 500,000 units?

AdMob iPhone analytics puts the number of iPhone OS devices sold in Australia as over 1.1 Million in June 09.* It will be so much greater now too since the 3GS.

It's an incredible success here and testament to offering it on all carriers and having unlocked phones available. The handset is offered at no up front cost on a wide range of plans, tethering is supported by most carriers, prepaid options are available.

It's amazing seeing the number of iPhones in use here.

*That puts it at 6.5% of people over 15. In 11 months.

100*(1.1/16.8)

http://metrics.admob.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/admob-mobile-metrics-june-09.pdf

gfroyle
Aug 22, 2009, 04:21 AM
I just looked at the Apple Store (Australia) and it claims that all models are available with their normal shipping times (5-7 days).

So unless the website is not being truthful (for example, a much delayed shipping date is revealed only after you plonk down the cash), then anyone who wants one can just buy it and have it next week.

So what does "in short supply" really mean?

G

retroneo
Aug 22, 2009, 06:00 AM
I just looked at the Apple Store (Australia) and it claims that all models are available with their normal shipping times (5-7 days).

So unless the website is not being truthful (for example, a much delayed shipping date is revealed only after you plonk down the cash), then anyone who wants one can just buy it and have it next week.

So what does "in short supply" really mean?

G

The iPhones on the Apple Store (Australia) are officially unlocked and sold outright at a high price. The vast majority of iPhones in Australia are free upfront with a phone service through one of the five carriers offering the iPhone. The carriers iPhones are the ones in short supply.

These phones are locked to the network, and have a 24 month service contract associated with it. The unlock is available on request from the telco, who push it down to your iTunes.

pangwen
Aug 22, 2009, 06:49 AM
The iPhones on the Apple Store (Australia) are officially unlocked and sold outright at a high price. The vast majority of iPhones in Australia are free upfront with a phone service through one of the five carriers offering the iPhone. The carriers iPhones are the ones in short supply.

These phones are locked to the network, and have a 24 month service contract associated with it. The unlock is available on request from the telco, who push it down to your iTunes.

Just to clarify (for consistency with previous posts) - carriers in Australia do sell the iPhone on prepaid, but the cost of buying it on prepaid is generally higher than buying it outright from Apple. For example, Vodafone Australia sells the 32GB 3GS for $AU1129, while Apple sells it for only $1040 (IIRC).

I was fairly lucky to get mine from Virgin Mobile Australia around a month ago, as their online store was sold out, and the (physical) store I went to only had 2 left when I came in.

EDIT (just for info for international readers):
The 5 carriers offering the iPhone 3GS in Australia are:
1. Telstra (probably the equivalent of Rogers - the largest incumbent telco in the country, and charges a hefty premium for better coverage)
2. Optus (owned by Singtel, and are number 2 in Aus)
3. Vodafone Australia
4. 3 Australia, although they launched the 3GS a month later than everyone else (Vodafone and 3 are now owned by a common entity called VHA, which is in turn owned by UK's Vodafone Plc and HK's Hutchison. Combined, they are the 3rd largest carrier in Australia)
5. Virgin Mobile (originally partly owned by Virgin Mobile UK, now fully owned by Optus. Resells services through the Optus network)

3 and Virgin Mobile have been competing quite heavily against each other to provide the best deal for the iPhone.

wardev
Aug 23, 2009, 09:54 AM
It's a product refresh, guys. There's a new iPhone coming on September 7. :apple:

ha! what a bad photoshop! :D

Thex1138
Aug 26, 2009, 12:41 AM
AdMob iPhone analytics puts the number of iPhone OS devices sold in Australia as over 1.1 Million in June 09.* It will be so much greater now too since the 3GS.

It's an incredible success here and testament to offering it on all carriers and having unlocked phones available. The handset is offered at no up front cost on a wide range of plans, tethering is supported by most carriers, prepaid options are available.

It's amazing seeing the number of iPhones in use here.

*That puts it at 6.5% of people over 15. In 11 months.

100*(1.1/16.8)

http://metrics.admob.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/admob-mobile-metrics-june-09.pdf

Wooh! :eek:

zentraedi
Sep 2, 2009, 06:46 PM
So, are 3GSs still in short supply where you live? I made a reservation for a black 32GB one here in Japan two weeks ago. They had plenty in stock for new customers, but none for upgraders. :(

I wonder how much long I'll have to wait?

juanster
Sep 3, 2009, 12:37 PM

not true... just make a personal shopping appointment for the iphone at the apple store and you can get yours that same day... athstw hat i did... after rogers told me it woudl take about a month to get it from them. i still made the order. at the apple store the next day , the sales dude called rogers cancelle dteh order and gave me my phone...not many people know about this

trainguy77
Sep 3, 2009, 06:04 PM
Rogers is still sold out. However you can still find them the odd time at a rogers store. And regularly at apple stores. I got mine from wireless wave at the end of july. But it was hard to find it.

Genghis Khan
Sep 11, 2009, 08:17 AM
3GS still sold out in Melbourne CBD stores it seems :(