Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released Hard Drive Firmware Update 2.0, addressing issues with certain hard drives on the latest MacBook Pros models. Apple had been reported last week to be working on the issue, which involves intermittent "beeping" noises and occasional brief system freezes on machines using 500 GB, 7200 rpm hard drives.
MacBook Pro Hard Drive Firmware Update 2.0 reduces certain infrequent noises made by 7200-rpm drives.

These drives shipped with the June 2009 MacBook Pro.

To complete the firmware update process, please follow the instructions in the updater application (/Applications/Utilities/Hard Drive Update.app).

The updater will launch automatically when the installation is complete.

New Hard Drive firmware will be: 0007APM2
As the issue was first gaining attention in the first days after release, it was judged to likely be stemming from the G-Force anti-shock protection mechanism found in the Seagate Momentus drives used by Apple. The G-Force mechanism is essentially redundant to Apple's own Sudden Motion Sensor technology included in its notebook computers, but it is unclear exactly what steps Apple took with this firmware update to address the issue.

Article Link: Apple Releases Fix for MacBook Pro Hard Drive Issues

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Haha weird. I just got a macbook replacement today with that exact firmware version because of this click/beep thing.

So far so good.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Thank god! No more random freezing!

Edit: FFFFFFFF apparently my computer doesn't need this update. I guess I'll just have to live with my random thirty second freezes.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
The article seems to imply that the firmware upgrade will not affect after market drives which are hearing this sound. If true, that's disappointing as many of the complaints came from folks using this exact drive but who installed it after market.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009

FFFFFFFF apparently my computer doesn't need this update. I guess I'll just have to live with my random thirty second freezes.
And you see a spinning beach ball when that happens? Do you have any external drives connected?

MacMan86

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
UK
And you see a spinning beach ball when that happens? Do you have any external drives connected?

Had hoped the update would apply to my June 09 MBP with a 7,200rpm, 320GB drive which has random freezing with the spinning ball, but it doesn't, so I'm not sure where that leaves me. I suppose a reinstall :(

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
This update is full of FAIL.

There are numerous reports of people that have bought this seagate drive aftermarket for the new MBPs and older MBPs, along with the non-Gforce version drive, along with other drives, that have this same issue and Apple hasn't done anything about that.eo

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
I think I will use Pacifist & Smultron to take a close look at this update. I am very curious as to their solution to this particular HDD issue, which is similar to the more-widespread issue of "soft-clicking HDDs" found in all types of modern laptop computers, whether running Mac OS, Windows, or Linux...

RazorD

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2004
Bath, UK

FFFFFFFF apparently my computer doesn't need this update. I guess I'll just have to live with my random thirty second freezes.

Mine say that after i turned it back end following the update (the docs say it'll say it updated successfully) - I'm guessing this is a bug, as it definitely did the flash.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
This update is full of fail.

What about people who replaced their new or older MBP's drive with the seagate drives, both this one and the non-Gforce version drive who are having the problem as well.

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
I'm sure Apple is working on fixes for the other hardrives and MacBooks being affected as well, they just got this done first and releasing it ASAP.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
This update is full of FAIL.

There are numerous reports of people that have bought this seagate drive aftermarket for the new MBPs and older MBPs, along with the non-Gforce version drive, along with other drives, that have this same issue and Apple hasn't done anything about that.eo
Wait a sec. Were you expecting them to fix this issue with after market drives? :confused:

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
yes, i'd hope they would offer a stand-alone, system-independent solution, for people like me who upgraded their unibody macbooks (or any other apple laptop) to the seagate 7200.4

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Had hoped the update would apply to my June 09 MBP with a 7,200rpm, 320GB drive which has random freezing with the spinning ball, but it doesn't, so I'm not sure where that leaves me. I suppose a reinstall :(
This firmware update is set to fix the clicking noises only – don't tell me that you have set this energy saver preference: [V] "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible."

Bjohnson33

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2006
I hadn't actually heard of this problem before. Hopefully most of you get some satisfaction from this update, although it sounds like some of you are still left out in the cold.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Wait a sec. Were you expecting them to fix this issue with after market drives? :confused:

Yes, along with probably hundreds if not thousands of other people. There is no reason I shouldn't be able to pop the same drive into my older MBP and not have a problem. The problem lies with Apple's hardware. Are you to tell me that for every Apple you will ever own, you don't expect to be able to swap out the hard drive without an issue when you run out of space?

lhotka

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
I would say yes. At least when Apple is to blame for this ticking noise.

And how is Apple supposed to get the firmware from other vendors to update the drives? Keep in mind that Dell has the same issue with these drives too, so it's likely Seagate's problem.

vader26

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
Seattle
so far so good... usually would have had several clicks and pauses in the last half hour - none so far after install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.