PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases Bluetooth Firmware Update 2.0.1

MacRumors
Aug 19, 2009, 04:08 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/08/19/apple-releases-bluetooth-firmware-update-2-0-1/)

Apple today released Bluetooth Firmware Update 2.0.1 (http://support.apple.com/downloads/Bluetooth_Firmware_Update_2_0_1), offering bug fixes and compatibility improvements for Apple peripheral devices.This update provides bug fixes and better compatibility with the Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse and Apple Wireless Keyboard.

It installs on all Macintosh systems with Bluetooth based on the Broadcom chipset.The update weighs in at 1.78 MB and requires OS X 10.5.7 or later.

Article Link: Apple Releases Bluetooth Firmware Update 2.0.1 (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/08/19/apple-releases-bluetooth-firmware-update-2-0-1/)

justflie
Aug 19, 2009, 04:16 PM
I hope this increases my signal strength to the peripherals. I've resigned to chalking the "just barely good enough" SS to my environment but perhaps a magic Apple update will solve the problem.

SFStateStudent
Aug 19, 2009, 04:22 PM
I haven't noticed problems with my BT Apple KB or my BT Mouse....:eek:

e-coli
Aug 19, 2009, 04:28 PM
my mighty mouse disconnects all the time, but this update isn't showing up in software update. how do i know if i have a broadcom chipset?

wetrix
Aug 19, 2009, 04:46 PM
It's not showing up in my software update either. I have a broadcom bluetooth module in my MBA and system profiler says it is Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 2.1.8f2. Isn't that greater than 2.0.1 or are these different things?

celticpride678
Aug 19, 2009, 04:51 PM
Pretty sure you can only download it from Apple's website, provided in the article. Surprised it is not showing up in Bluetooth Firmware Update though

Ampidire
Aug 19, 2009, 04:58 PM
Attempt to install this update on my Late 2008 Unibody 15.4" MBP result in a "already up to date" message. I assume that is correct and that if it doesn't let you install, don't bother or worry about it.

moiety
Aug 19, 2009, 04:59 PM
It's not showing up in my software update either. I have a broadcom bluetooth module in my MBA and system profiler says it is Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 2.1.8f2. Isn't that greater than 2.0.1 or are these different things?

Software does not equal Firmware. Two different things. It's talking about the version of the firmware *inside* your BT mouse/keyboard/tamagochi.

nickXedge
Aug 19, 2009, 05:00 PM

I could be wrong but I believe the 2.1 you see in system profiler is just the version of Bluetooth, being 2.1 with EDR. The firmware is different. It's like having an 802.11n wifi router and updating your firmware won't change that it's 802.11n.

ncsmith4
Aug 19, 2009, 05:02 PM
Not showing up for me either... Unibody 15" MBP. All other updates have been applied.

dwright1974
Aug 19, 2009, 05:50 PM
Not showing up for me either... Unibody 15" MBP. All other updates have been applied.

The Support doc does say:

Mac OS X 10.5.7 or later

Which suggests it was part of the 10.5.8 update, (assuming you've installed this of course).

HTH

- D

EDIT:
Actually, it does say 'or later'. Note to self: Learn to read! It isn't showing for me either (Late 2008 UMBP 15")

Detlev
Aug 19, 2009, 05:51 PM
Find your version of the Bluetooth Firmware by opening SYstem Profiler and clicking on "Bluetooth" in the left column. You will see your firmware version three rows below your computer's name. This is not an update for all Bluetooth chipsets. See which chipset you have right above the firmware version (the second row below the computer name).

The download is on the support site downloads section (front page presently). You could also just click the link provided by Arn.

I hope they actually did fix the issues. The mouse issues combined with the Time Machine issues have made me feel like I purchased sub-standard products.

FreeState
Aug 19, 2009, 06:15 PM
I haven't noticed problems with my BT Apple KB or my BT Mouse....:eek:

My mouse has problems all the time. It loses its connects every hour or two... downloading and hoping it helps:)

guzhogi
Aug 19, 2009, 07:02 PM
The Support doc does say:

Mac OS X 10.5.7 or later

Which suggests it was part of the 10.5.8 update, (assuming you've installed this of course).

HTH

- D

EDIT:
Actually, it does say 'or later'. Note to self: Learn to read! It isn't showing for me either (Late 2008 UMBP 15")

Plus, firmware isn't updated w/ OS updates. Firmware & OS are 2 different things. I could have a firmware update for my MBP, not install it & it'll still be in software update in Mac OS 9999999 (OK, I'm exaggerating, but you should get the idea).

PurrBall
Aug 19, 2009, 08:06 PM
The download seems to have been pulled on the page linked in the article in addition to SU.

I downloaded it and it says my firmware is up to date, so there must be something screwy with the installer.

celticpride678
Aug 19, 2009, 08:14 PM
The download seems to have been pulled on the page linked in the article in addition to SU.

I downloaded it and it says my firmware is up to date, so there must be something screwy with the installer.

Nothing is scewy with the installer. Your computer is all up to date already. Like a previous poster said, if it says everything is up to date, forget about it.

aristobrat
Aug 19, 2009, 08:19 PM
My mouse has problems all the time. It loses its connects every hour or two... downloading and hoping it helps:)
Same. Have the first gen uMBP 15" and the keyboard/mouse drop every hour or so, and the connect gets really laggy when the notebook is in clamshell mode.

SnowLeopard2008
Aug 19, 2009, 08:30 PM
It's not showing for me either. I have the mid 2009 15" uMBP. I just updated iPhoto so I'll reboot and see if that makes any difference.

Xavier
Aug 19, 2009, 08:53 PM
my mighty mouse disconnects all the time, but this update isn't showing up in software update. how do i know if i have a broadcom chipset?

My mighty mouse also does this, or it will become very jerky.

Detlev
Aug 19, 2009, 09:33 PM
It will NOT show in Software Update. So, do not look there. Go right to Apple - Support - Downloads (http://support.apple.com/downloads/). It has not been removed as far as I can tell. It is second on the list. Oh, and it only updates certain chipsets. I've got several machines here and only the newest one (a couple weeks old) required the update because the older units have different chipsets.

Blaine
Aug 19, 2009, 10:11 PM
Why isn't this showing in software update? Apple should not release any system update unless it also shows in software update. Come on, this isn't a pc where I have to go hunting for updated drivers. :mad:

ahoover
Aug 19, 2009, 10:13 PM
I checked my System Profiler and it says:

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 2.1.8f2
Hardware Settings:
MacBook Pro:
Address: 00-23-6c-b7-90-e9
Manufacturer: Broadcom
Firmware Version: 180 (369)

Downloaded the Bluetooth Firmware Update 2.0.1 and ran it and it says "Your computer's Bluetooth firmware is up-to-date". How does the Fireware Version 180 (369) map to 2.0.1?

Sun Baked
Aug 19, 2009, 10:23 PM
Note to self, remember to turn bluetooth on to see it in the system profiler.

Have Cambridge Silicon Radio, so I turned it off again.

celticpride678
Aug 19, 2009, 10:23 PM
Why isn't this showing in software update? Apple should not release any system update unless it also shows in software update. Come on, this isn't a pc where I have to go hunting for updated drivers. :mad:

No, it's not. But like someone earlier said, firmware is not software! Hence, SOFTWARE Update, will not find the firmware. However, if your computer needs the firmware update, it will be in the Bluetooth FIRMWARE update tool located in: Applications>Utilities>Bluetooth Firmware Update.app

MacFly123
Aug 19, 2009, 11:01 PM

Pretty sure you can only download it from Apple's website, provided in the article. Surprised it is not showing up in Bluetooth Firmware Update though

Software does not equal Firmware. Two different things. It's talking about the version of the firmware *inside* your BT mouse/keyboard/tamagochi.

Either way, it should show up in the software update. Who is going to know about this or where to find it if it doesn't show up in software update, or when you open Bluetooth, except for nerds like us that read MacRumors?

I'm assuming my MBP needed it because it installed. Not a very user friendly way to issue an update Apple! I don't care if it is firmware or software. If I can get HP updates for my printer in software update, why the crap can't Apple issue their own updates in there no matter what they are? They should all show up in once central location. Seems like Microsoft style. :rolleyes:

Blaine
Aug 19, 2009, 11:13 PM
firmware updates come through software update all the time. I've received battery firmware updates and efi firmware updates and firmware updates to my mbp. A firmware update for the bluetooth module should be no different. :(

telecomm
Aug 20, 2009, 01:58 AM
It will NOT show in Software Update. So, do not look there.

No, it's not. But like someone earlier said, firmware is not software! Hence, SOFTWARE Update, will not find the firmware.

No, that's wrong. Firmware updates ARE distributed through Software Update (although this one is not showing for me either). Where were you all in May and June, for example? (See System Preferences>Software Update for this list.) :p

winks360
Aug 20, 2009, 02:37 AM
:rolleyes: You only need this if you actually have and use Wireless Mighty Mouse and Wireless keyboard.

It is like going on Apple's web site to get the latest firmware update for a Time Capsule, when you don't actually own one. And then complaining that your computer didn't find the update. :o

p.s. You Mac will only find the updates you need...if you are using the wireless keyboard and mouse then the "firmware" update will show up in the the "Software Update". :apple: :)

p.s.s Yes you do get "firmware" updates in your "Software Updater", I just finished updating my "firmware" for the 500 GB HD issues they were having and the "firmware" update was found by the "Software Update..." under the :apple: tab at the top of the screen.

rule of thumb trust your Mac...if you need it, it will get it...if you don't need it it won't bother you with it

...sometimes updates are hardware specific, if it doesn't show up then you don't need it.

Helmigurt
Aug 20, 2009, 05:27 AM
The last update did good things for my apple bluetooth keyboard, no dropped connections or anything since 2.0. Installed 2.0.1 today, didnt know some people had problems using 2.0

EDIT: Ahem, Safari feels snappier too, of course.. ;-)

weckart
Aug 20, 2009, 06:47 AM
No, it's not. But like someone earlier said, firmware is not software! Hence, SOFTWARE Update, will not find the firmware. However, if your computer needs the firmware update, it will be in the Bluetooth FIRMWARE update tool located in: Applications>Utilities>Bluetooth Firmware Update.app

Wrong on all points. The firmware update tool in utilities is merely the last firmware update you downloaded....from Software Update.

pizzacake
Aug 20, 2009, 08:08 AM

thanks, I was wondering why manufacturer details were missing in system profiler

snberk103
Aug 20, 2009, 10:23 AM

Sounds like a note to several of us. Thanks for the tip :) .... once I turned BT on I could see what chip I had. Coincidentally, also Cambridge Silicon Radio.

Aug 20, 2009, 12:53 PM
Find your version of the Bluetooth Firmware by opening SYstem Profiler and clicking on "Bluetooth" in the left column. You will see your firmware version three rows below your computer's name. This is not an update for all Bluetooth chipsets. See which chipset you have right above the firmware version (the second row below the computer name).

The download is on the support site downloads section (front page presently). You could also just click the link provided by Arn.

I hope they actually did fix the issues. The mouse issues combined with the Time Machine issues have made me feel like I purchased sub-standard products.

Well, I have a broadcom chipset and 10.5.8, and it doesn't show either...what gives?

aristobrat
Aug 20, 2009, 01:00 PM
Well, I have a broadcom chipset and 10.5.8, and it doesn't show either...what gives?
Same, but if I look down at the version, it was 2.1.something, which seems to be "newer" than this 2.0.1 update?

Aug 20, 2009, 01:03 PM
Same, but if I look down at the version, it was 2.1.something, which seems to be "newer" than this 2.0.1 update?

Not sure, because the 2.1.8f or whatever refers to "BT software", not firmware.

celticpride678
Aug 20, 2009, 01:03 PM
Let me explain to all of you, a bit simpler:

1. Download the Installer from the link given in the Mac Rumors article
2. Mount the installer for the BLUETOOTH FIRMWARE UPDATE 2.0.1
3. Run the installer
4. Your final step in the installer should say: "The updater application is installed in the /Applications/Utilities folder and will launch automatically. Please follow the instructions in the updater application to complete the update process."

PLEASE NOTE: The firmware updater tool is what is needed for this. So, I was actually right initially. Thanks. No where does it mention use Software Update for this firmware update. You have to download and run the installer for the update, and then run the firmware updater tool to actually run the update. If it says everything is up-to-date, forget about it. Your computer is working fine. Thank You.

Aug 20, 2009, 01:10 PM
Let me explain to all of you, a bit simpler:

1. Download the Installer from the link given in the Mac Rumors article
2. Mount the installer for the BLUETOOTH FIRMWARE UPDATE 2.0.1
3. Run the installer
4. Your final step in the installer should say: "The updater application is installed in the /Applications/Utilities folder and will launch automatically. Please follow the instructions in the updater application to complete the update process."

PLEASE NOTE: The firmware updater tool is what is needed for this. So, I was actually right initially. Thanks. No where does it mention use Software Update for this firmware update. You have to download and run the installer for the update, and then run the firmware updater tool to actually run the update. If it says everything is up-to-date, forget about it. Your computer is working fine. Thank You.

Tks, but this is BS. Every other firmware update has been available on Apple's SU; this is why we are asking such question now.

celticpride678
Aug 20, 2009, 01:14 PM
Tks, but this is BS. Every other firmware update has been available on Apple's SU; this is why we are asking such question now.

MOST firmware updates have been through software update. Not all firmware updates. Who cares, though? You get the update somehow, right?

Aug 20, 2009, 01:38 PM
MOST firmware updates have been through software update. Not all firmware updates. Who cares, though? You get the update somehow, right?

Got it and it said my BT is up-to-date...no wonder it DIDN'T show up on SU.

ravenvii
Aug 20, 2009, 02:44 PM
Got it and it said my BT is up-to-date...no wonder it DIDN'T show up on SU.

Same here. (iMac early 2008)

ahoover
Aug 21, 2009, 10:40 PM
OK I don't get it.

Here is what I have...

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 2.1.8f2
Hardware Settings:
Macrocosmos:
Address: 00-23-6c-b7-90-e9
Manufacturer: Broadcom
Firmware Version: 180 (369)
Bluetooth Power: On
Discoverable: No
HCI Version: 4 ($4)
HCI Revision: 369 ($171)
LMP Version: 4 ($4)
LMP Subversion: 8628 ($21b4)
Device Type (Major): Computer
Device Type (Complete): Macintosh Portable
Composite Class Of Device: 3670284 ($38010c)
Device Class (Major): 1 ($1)
Device Class (Minor): 3 ($3)
Service Class: 448 ($1c0)
Requires Authentication: No
Services:
Bluetooth File Transfer:
Folder other devices can browse: ~/Public
Requires Authentication: Yes
State: Enabled
Bluetooth File Exchange:
Folder for accepted items: ~/Documents
Requires Authentication: Yes
When other items are accepted: Ask
When PIM items are accepted: Ask
When receiving items: Prompt for each file
State: Enabled
Devices (Paired, Favorites, etc):
ahoover’s keyboard:
Name: ahoover’s keyboard
Address: 00-0a-95-3a-a0-8b
Type: Keyboard
Firmware Version: 257
Services: Apple Wireless Keyboard
Paired: Yes
Favorite: No
Connected: No
Manufacturer: Broadcom ($1, $5b00)
ahoover’s mouse:
Name: ahoover’s mouse
Address: 00-23-6c-c0-25-5a
Type: Mouse
Firmware Version: 512
Services: Mighty Mouse
Paired: Yes
Favorite: No
Connected: Yes
Manufacturer: Broadcom ($2, $314)
Incoming Serial Ports:
Serial Port 1:
Name: Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
RFCOMM Channel: 3
Outgoing Serial Ports:
Serial Port 1:
Address:
Name: Bluetooth-Modem
RFCOMM Channel: 0

I have the Broadcom chip set.

How does the 2.0.1 firmware version map to my firmware Version: 180 (369)?

I did this with my Mighty Mouse connected and the Apple BT Keyboard configured (although not connected) and still says I'm Up to Date???

Thanks in advance!

xlii
Aug 22, 2009, 06:56 AM
Bluetooth Firmware versions show up in the system profiler under Software --> Extensions. Mine shows up as 2.0 and yes, SU says I'm up to date.

bthomas81
Sep 21, 2009, 10:25 PM
So the Bluetooth Firmware 2.0.1 box opened up and told me to turn off bluetooth devices, etc. and then click the "update" button. It said it was a lengthy update and would take a while. Well, I clicked the button 5 hours ago and nothing has changed and it won't let me quit the program. Anybody else have this problem, or does it usually take ridiculously long?

PS-I have a new unibody MacBook Pro.

cadu
Sep 29, 2009, 12:36 AM
My BT Mighty Mouse has became slower and presented a (short, but boring) time lag. Has anyone noticed the same thing?

MBP 2009, 3.06GHz, 4GB, Snow Leopard. :(