Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yeoldgreat1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
I've heard that the ipod touch 2g has bluetooth inside that can be utilised fully by jailbreaking. Is it possible to use an external gps reciever via bluetooth with the tomtom or other gps app?

I've got the gps receiver from a previous tomtom kit i bought for my hp handheld pda and was thinking of buying the tomtom app if i can get it working.

Thanks for the help.

Mystic Eddy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
The TomTom kit is supposed to be compatible with the touch, so for it to not be fully utilised seems a bit strange.
Maybe the 3G will have an integrated GPS receiver, with an add on being released for the 2G. Let's hope so :).

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The TomTom kit is supposed to be compatible with the touch, so for it to not be fully utilised seems a bit strange.
Maybe the 3G will have an integrated GPS receiver, with an add on being released for the 2G. Let's hope so :).

hardly doubt a GPS receiver on the 3G, i just don't see it in any ipod!:eek: ever!:D

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I've heard that the ipod touch 2g has bluetooth inside that can be utilised fully by jailbreaking. Is it possible to use an external gps reciever via bluetooth with the tomtom or other gps app?

I've got the gps receiver from a previous tomtom kit i bought for my hp handheld pda and was thinking of buying the tomtom app if i can get it working.

Thanks for the help.
the bluetooth can not be utilised as a gps it can only communicate with other bluetooth devices. GPS communicates with satelites to show your position, if the reciever is bluetooth it may work but if it is a plugin reciever then it will have to be the same connection as the one on the USB wire

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.