Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyutnyut

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2008
Is there a way to apply 3D rotate, so it's not just an effect, but the way an object is all the time?

thanks in advance.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
With the use of perspective, you can draw what looks like a 3D object, but I don't know of any way to create a true 3D object in Illustrator. It's just a drawing tool and has no real awareness of volume. The 3D effects are just transformed into 2D when you hit Enter/Return.

Dale

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Yes, I'm pretty sure there is a way. I don't have Illustrator on this computer, so I'll have to check when I'm at work tomorrow, but I believe that you need to find a way to "expand appearance" (I think?) of the effect. Look under the Object menu, perhaps?

nyutnyut

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2008
Yes, I'm pretty sure there is a way. I don't have Illustrator on this computer, so I'll have to check when I'm at work tomorrow, but I believe that you need to find a way to "expand appearance" (I think?) of the effect. Look under the Object menu, perhaps?

this was exactly it. thank you very much.

usclaneyj

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
Heads up: Be mindful of those expanded 3D objects. If you've applied lighting/shading or anything, 'Expand Appearance' will create lots of overlapping shapes to fake the shadows. It can make for a really nasty grouped object.

TenPoundMonkey

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
VA
Heads up: Be mindful of those expanded 3D objects. If you've applied lighting/shading or anything, 'Expand Appearance' will create lots of overlapping shapes to fake the shadows. It can make for a really nasty grouped object.

this.

plus, every slice in gradient shading becomes a separate object.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
If you don't want any problems, the best you can do, after you finish the 3D object, is to rasterize it to a high resolution (aka 300+ dpi) PSD or TIFF file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.