PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Interface Adapter for iPod to ship this fall

MacBytes
Jun 24, 2004, 03:35 PM
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Alpine Interface Adapter for iPod to ship this fall (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040624163521)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

macridah
Jun 24, 2004, 04:09 PM
Since I don't have a BMW, I think I'll get this alpine radio and adapter instead. I guess it's better than using a stock radio.

Laslo Panaflex
Jun 24, 2004, 04:26 PM
I don't know, I was thinking about buying a BMW so I could hook my iPod into it. I mean seriously, I think Apple got shafted on this deal, you know how many people are going to buy BMW now that you can hook your iPod into it? Marketing genious :D

PlaceofDis
Jun 24, 2004, 06:17 PM
sure the BMW device is nice, but i already use my iPod with my car sterio, and no i dont use one of those radio transmitters, all you really need is to have an aux input on your radio for it to work and its still good quality

iJon
Jun 24, 2004, 09:30 PM
sure the BMW device is nice, but i already use my iPod with my car sterio, and no i dont use one of those radio transmitters, all you really need is to have an aux input on your radio for it to work and its still good quality
i know, people think this whole bmw thing is a gift from god, when its far from it.

iJon

Chip NoVaMac
Jun 25, 2004, 07:01 PM

Yeah, but not all head-units from the car manufacturers have that. Also the ability to control the iPod through the Alpine head-unit is a really neat and safe idea.

Too bad Alpine missed the summer introduction they had initially planned.

mkrishnan
Jun 25, 2004, 07:31 PM
Yeah, but not all head-units from the car manufacturers have that. Also the ability to control the iPod through the Alpine head-unit is a really neat and safe idea.

The Alpine unit sounds like a much better programming job than iPodYourBMW too.

The only problem is that putting an aftermarket HU in your car spoils the aesthetics. I decided to live with it in my Focus, to get an aux in, but all the cars I'm looking at for my next have such gorgeous interiors it seems like sacrilege....maybe if I got a GM car it wouldn't be that hard to sacrifice the deck. :p

iJon
Jun 25, 2004, 07:34 PM

but most car companies do have the ability to do it, just have to find it. plus even less people have ai-net supported alpine unit. plus i have the
"remoteremote" in my jeep, which uses radio frequencies and works within 30 ft, so its a great little setup in my car. the bmw idea is certianily a great step forward, people just need to awknowledge that there are solutions for them even if they don't have a bmw.

iJon

Chip NoVaMac
Jun 25, 2004, 07:39 PM
The Alpine unit sounds like a much better programming job than iPodYourBMW too.

The only problem is that putting an aftermarket HU in your car spoils the aesthetics. I decided to live with it in my Focus, to get an aux in, but all the cars I'm looking at for my next have such gorgeous interiors it seems like sacrilege....maybe if I got a GM car it wouldn't be that hard to sacrifice the deck. :p

A good number of GM vehicles can't use third party head-units due to the integration of OnStar and other garbage into their head-units. In fact I saw one website for an iPod type attachment that stated that due to insurance liability they would not offer the cables for GM head-units.

Guess I am lucky to have a Subaru Baja, so radio styling is not a high priority. Back when I had a New Beetle, I knew of what you are talking about.

Chip NoVaMac
Jun 25, 2004, 07:47 PM
but most car companies do have the ability to do it, just have to find it. plus even less people have ai-net supported alpine unit. plus i have the
"remoteremote" in my jeep, which uses radio frequencies and works within 30 ft, so its a great little setup in my car. the bmw idea is certianily a great step forward, people just need to awknowledge that there are solutions for them even if they don't have a bmw.

iJon

My Subaru doesn't have it, and my partner's Rendezvous doesn't either. And that situation is supposed to only get worse as the car manufacturers look towards a whole new electrical system for their cars.

And with the Alpine it would be a simple matter of getting an AI-NET Alpine head-unit. For about $300 total you will be able to have a cool little iPod player, that is safer to use than trying to jog the iPod wheel while driving.

In the end, the advice would be to find a good audio shop that knows what they are selling, and find the affordable solution for your budget. Right now for me it is the DLO TransPod RF unit.

mkrishnan
Jun 25, 2004, 08:11 PM
but most car companies do have the ability to do it, just have to find it. plus even less people have ai-net supported alpine unit.

Are there a lot of OEM or dealer-installed solutions that don't involve a third-party head-unit that give you an aux input? I haven't seen very many oem-spec'd HU's that have an input....

Chip NoVaMac
Jun 25, 2004, 08:13 PM
Are there a lot of OEM or dealer-installed solutions that don't involve a third-party head-unit that give you an aux input? I haven't seen very many oem-spec'd HU's that have an input....

Thanks, you put it much better than I did...