PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Battery Life

KiDrOck80
Jun 24, 2004, 05:14 PM
Im an owner of a 20GB Ipod, i bought it about 10 months ago. The battery life is down to about 2 to 2.5 hrs on a full charge, compared to the 3.5-4hrs i was gettin when i bought it. Is there any way i can send it in and have them replace the battery?

rainman::|:|
Jun 24, 2004, 05:29 PM
apple has an exchange program for $100, there's another option where you swap it yourself for like $50. but there are already probably dozens of threads on this already, do a search please.

paul

veedubdrew
Jun 24, 2004, 05:31 PM
If it's only 10 months old, then it should still be under warranty. I'd say take it to the Apple store and have them repair it.

-Drew

rainman::|:|
Jun 24, 2004, 06:29 PM
If it's only 10 months old, then it should still be under warranty. I'd say take it to the Apple store and have them repair it.

-Drew

i agree, i read your original post too quickly; if you were only getting a few hours to begin with there was something wrong from the start. Let them know that the battery never worked quite right, it might help.

If you run the backlight a lot, and pick each song individually, you might get 3-5 hours battery life, but with light usage, letting the iPod play songs from memory (like, not changing songs but letting it go to the next one) you should have had 6-8 hour life in the first place... after 10 months time, that will degrade, but it shouldn't be that poor.

paul

KiDrOck80
Jun 25, 2004, 08:23 PM
ALso, is it normal for the Battery meter to go from full to depleted when i put it in the dock?

mkrishnan
Jun 25, 2004, 08:35 PM
ALso, is it normal for the Battery meter to go from full to depleted when i put it in the dock?

The iPod battery meter is kinda wack. Its not very reliable on good days, so I don't know if I'd read much into this or not.

Regarding the 2 hrs vs. 4 hrs, sounds like you're getting abnormally bad perf. How many times roughly speaking do you think you've recharged it? It should be good for about 300 cycles. Are you letting it drain all the way or charging it at mid-levels? Also, do you use it pretty much straight through for the full charge, or an hour here and then off for a day and then an hour there... ? Reason I ask is I get about 6 hours on my iPod 3G, vs. 8 quoted, and have from the beginning, but a lot of it is due to energy lost in sleep mode. I use the 6 hours over maybe three 2 hour sessions across 3 days, so I'd prolly get more if I ran it straight on one day.

KiDrOck80
Jun 26, 2004, 05:31 PM
I charge it when its usually down to 1 bar, or none, several times i have let it run out of battery life before i charged...but a few times i have charged it when it was half full because i was takin a trip the next day....i use it for about an hr to an hr and a half each day...sometime more...sometimes less..but i use it atleast once a day. when i turned down the volume ..i got better battery life...i always use to have it on full volume..because i like my music loud..lol..i NEVER use the backlit feature..

mkrishnan
Jun 26, 2004, 05:42 PM
I charge it when its usually down to 1 bar, or none, several times i have let it run out of battery life before i charged...but a few times i have charged it when it was half full because i was takin a trip the next day....i use it for about an hr to an hr and a half each day...sometime more...sometimes less..but i use it atleast once a day. when i turned down the volume ..i got better battery life...i always use to have it on full volume..because i like my music loud..lol..i NEVER use the backlit feature..

Hmmm...even your from-the-beginning battery life sounds too low for this profile. When I use my iPod in the car or with big reference headphones, I need to max volume too. And I still get ~6 hours, maybe closer to 6-7 at the ~30-40% volume I use on in-ear's.

And your current 2 hrs is WAY too low. Run, don't walk, to get it replaced at Apple's cost. :p

KiDrOck80
Jun 26, 2004, 06:39 PM
Im gonna run a test...im going to drain the battery..then charge it full then play nonstop and let the songs play in order..and see how long it goes..IS thr battery covered under the 1 year warranty? IF so i will definately take it back to COMPUSA...as i am not fortunate enough to have an apple store here in SYRACUSE :(

virividox
Jun 26, 2004, 07:05 PM
i think you should be getting at least 5-6 still its not even a year, run the test, but yea if u can replace by all means do

King Cobra
Jun 26, 2004, 07:44 PM
Im gonna run a test...
I know this was posted elsewhere on the forums, but I'm not gonna bother searching for it... The test Apple recommends to verify the battery life of your iPod goes a bit like this:

[1] Transfer a playlist to your iPod with a single 4-minute 128Kbps song in it.
[2] Plug in your iPod to an outlet.
[3] Set your iPod to replay the song.
[4] Start playing the song at medium volume. <-- You don't have to have anything coming out of the audio port.
[5] About 10 seconds into the song, disconnect your iPod from the outlet.
[6] Let the song loop through until the battery life is drained. If the battery lasts around 10 hours (can vary by a few minutes), then your iPod has a working battery.

Now here are some tips I thought up and read online and from magazines that help optimize your battery life -- BTW: I've posted them in the past, but they depended on the technology and iPod firmware at the time.

#1 Reduce the contrast on your iPod. You didn't buy an iPod to stare at what song you are playing.

#2 Turn off the equalizer. When the equalizer is enabled, the iPod has to integrate each frequency setting appropriately, taking up battery life. If need be, get better earphones.

#3 Only use the backlight when necessary. When you're done using it, hold down the menu button for 1.5 seconds to turn it off. If you're worried about saving seconds of battery life on your iPod, do that rather than letting it turn off by itself.

#4 Compress your music to save battery life. That may be obvious, but your iPod is not the center of your musical lifestyle. It's a music player for when you can use it on your own time. So it isn't necessary to have CD-quality songs on your iPod. Compress the songs down to 128Kbps or lower.

#5 Do NOT constantly run the Hard Drive to transfer songs. If you start up the Hard Drive somewhere in the middle of the playlist, do not keep switching back and forth through songs. Also, once you do select a song in a playlist, do not select a song in front of the current selection until the Hard Drive has shut down (wait 10 seconds).

#6 If you encode songs at a high bitrate, do not play songs over the limited track time the iPod will allow, as there may not be sufficient amounts of RAM to handle certain lengthy tracks. The Hard Drive will keep spinning and your iPod may only get a few minutes of life.

#7 Avoid constantly skipping through a track, as the iPod has to consume more energy to match your skipped position.

#8 Try to keep track of how many minutes of music your iPod can transfer to the RAM from the Hard Drive in one spin of the Hard Drive. For instance, at 64Kbps AAC, I can get a little over 40 minutes of music (an entire short album) with one spin of the Hard Drive. So if I want to create a favorites playlist, I may want to transfer 40 minutes of 64Kbps AAC files and ONLY 64Kbps files to the iPod for that particular playlist.

#9 If you have more songs on the playlist, which will require an additional Hard Drive spin-up, the Hard Drive will actually spin up a few seconds before the last RAM-allocated song has ended (occurs with iPod OS 1.2.x). If you decide to scroll through your iPod at that point and start playing songs in another playlist, you have just wasted a whole spin-up of the Hard Drive.

#10 Keep track of the lastest iPod software and hardware issues and solutions to each, as well as the latest available firmware for your iPod. I also recommend restoring the iPod, once in a while, to refresh any junk you want removed from the iPod, as well as give it a fresh start.

Your iPod's battery will improve, most likely anywhere from an hour to three extra hours, depending on how well the above suggestions are followed.

FuzzyBallz
Jun 26, 2004, 08:44 PM
Damn, with that many restrictions, you think people buy iPods just so they can hang it around their necks when they go out instead of using one to enjoy music on the go. And people talk about video on the next gen of iPod? Guess Steve will have to put a micro nuclear reactor in it just to play one video.

KiDrOck80
Jun 26, 2004, 08:54 PM
hmm... i'll have to check out that Test..and maybe follow a few of those tips