PDA

View Full Version : Dell unveils strategy to dominate school sales

MacBytes
Jun 24, 2004, 06:52 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Dell unveils strategy to dominate school sales (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040624195214)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

slipper
Jun 24, 2004, 07:20 PM
i havent read the article yet but Dell has decided to sell Macs!? :D

DreaminDirector
Jun 24, 2004, 07:37 PM
Has anyone seen their new commercial where these two guys are in their dorm rooms typing out term papers and the guy who's on the Dell successfully saves his document, but his buddy (who's not on a dell, but some kind of windows machine) gets a bunch of popup errors. Then fast forward like ten years and the two meet again, one an executive looking guy in an office and the other is a window washer.

Come on! I mean, is it really a huge fear in the PC world that a document won't save and you'd be doomed to spend your life as a window washer?

I hope Dell doesn't take over the educational market. That would just be a sad day...

Bob Knob
Jun 24, 2004, 08:01 PM
Has anyone seen their new commercial where these two guys are in their dorm rooms typing out term papers and the guy who's on the Dell successfully saves his document, but his buddy (who's not on a dell, but some kind of windows machine) gets a bunch of popup errors. snip...

Of course the classic part is that his popup errors are Windows related... So what OS is Dell using, and how is life better on a Dell?? :rolleyes:

beg_ne
Jun 24, 2004, 08:10 PM
Has anyone seen their new commercial where these two guys are in their dorm rooms typing out term papers and the guy who's on the Dell successfully saves his document, but his buddy (who's not on a dell, but some kind of windows machine) gets a bunch of popup errors. Then fast forward like ten years and the two meet again, one an executive looking guy in an office and the other is a window washer.

Come on! I mean, is it really a huge fear in the PC world that a document won't save and you'd be doomed to spend your life as a window washer?

I hope Dell doesn't take over the educational market. That would just be a sad day...

I don't know, sounds pretty accurate to me. On one hand i think its saying on a subconscious level if you use a PC you will become a half-wit PHB spreading ignorance and mediocrity like the plague, and the window washer obviously represents the "Windows ExperienceTM" which is much like doing hours of menial work. :)

ingenious
Jun 24, 2004, 08:17 PM

Yea, I saw it. For all its worth and besides the DuLL content... it was pretty good. Considering it was probably designed on a Mac. :D

ingenious
Jun 24, 2004, 08:19 PM
Of course the classic part is that his popup errors are Windows related... So what OS is Dell using, and how is life better on a Dell?? :rolleyes:

That's what I thought... and the pop ups we'ren't even part of Windows!

Doctor Q
Jun 24, 2004, 08:37 PM
Dell's share of the U.S. education market in the first quarter of 2004 - 44 percent - was roughly three times that of its nearest competitor, one-time leader Apple Computer Inc., with 14 percent. Hewlett-Packard Co. had 11.3 percent, Gateway Inc. 6.2 percent and IBM 3.7 percent.
I am disappointed with Apple's market share, because I use to have an easier sell when I made the case to a school to go with Macs. Dell is being smart.

eric_n_dfw
Jun 24, 2004, 10:54 PM
I hope Dell doesn't take over the educational market. That would just be a sad day...That sad day is already here - from the story: "Dell's share of the U.S. education market in the first quarter of 2004 - 44 percent - was roughly three times that of its nearest competitor, one-time leader Apple Computer Inc., with 14 percent."

DreaminDirector
Jun 25, 2004, 01:47 AM
yeah, i know, but at least there are still macs in schools, even though it is 14 percent. Ah, childhood memories of Oregon Trail on the little black and green screen, five and a quarter inch floppy driven macs.

And this by Beg_ne:
"I don't know, sounds pretty accurate to me. On one hand i think its saying on a subconscious level if you use a PC you will become a half-wit PHB spreading ignorance and mediocrity like the plague, and the window washer obviously represents the "Windows ExperienceTM" which is much like doing hours of menial work.
-------

That has to be the funniest thing I've read in a while. It's too bad I didn't see that the first time around, but that is all I'm going to think every time I see it again.

ALoLA
Jun 25, 2004, 02:35 AM
Too bad all of those kids are forced to use Dells by their shortsighted school district administrators. They'll just have to learn life's lessons the hard way. Just like those of us forced to use Dells to work. We've already had three crap out this week, including my own just today. :mad:

Nermal
Jun 25, 2004, 03:23 AM
Ah, childhood memories of Oregon Trail on the little black and green screen, five and a quarter inch floppy driven macs.

You seem to be thinking of the Apple ][, which technically wasn't a Mac. We had a //e in my classroom, but some classrooms had to make do with a ][. I think I've done those abbreviations correctly - it's been a while!

jholzner
Jun 25, 2004, 09:51 AM
You seem to be thinking of the Apple ][, which technically wasn't a Mac. We had a //e in my classroom, but some classrooms had to make do with a ][. I think I've done those abbreviations correctly - it's been a while!

Fiv3 - tWO to fu%6~ th# jlwww aND three tO gurr%^ the laddEr.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL...I love your sig. line!