Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pb1300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Aigio, Greece
Anyone care to help an "idiot" out with setting up Plex? I to use my UMB, iMac, and PS3 to stream content, but I cannot get it set up for the life of me. Anyone have any type of help would be greatly appreciated!

MCRunning

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
Where are the help videos? I cant seem to find them. Sorry for the stupidity lol.

The help videos are in plex. On the left sidebar that has watch movies, videos, pictures, etc. keep scrolling to you see help.

pb1300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Aigio, Greece
God, for the longest I was looking on the website. Finally found the help in the Plex app lol. I have another question...can I access my files on my iMac with my MB through Plex?

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
God, for the longest I was looking on the website. Finally found the help in the Plex app lol. I have another question...can I access my files on my iMac with my MB through Plex?

I'd be interested in this as well. I don't see why not though.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005

Yes, the help videos should have a section on setting up a share.

srexy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2006
I'd be interested in this as well. I don't see why not though.

I've got a Mini running my main Screen and a MBP which is accessing the same files on the Mini using an AFP share that's in my user login profile. You have to have separate installs of Plex and there's no neat way of copying the library information across - just setup your sources and let Plex scan the media for you. It works well across my wireless network. I have also setup a separate media folder on the MBP for mobile viewing.

My :apple:TV that was once the media server for the main screen is now in the bedroom running XBMC.

I'm in the process of setting up my kids' playroom which has an iMac so that the iMac can feed their TV that's about 3ft away from it

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
I've got a Mini running my main Screen and a MBP which is accessing the same files on the Mini using an AFP share that's in my user login profile. You have to have separate installs of Plex and there's no neat way of copying the library information across - just setup your sources and let Plex scan the media for you. It works well across my wireless network. I have also setup a separate media folder on the MBP for mobile viewing.

My :apple:TV that was once the media server for the main screen is now in the bedroom running XBMC.

I'm in the process of setting up my kids' playroom which has an iMac so that the iMac can feed their TV that's about 3ft away from it

Thanks for giving me a new project :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.