PDA

View Full Version : G5 & Studio Display CRT Issues

applewhore
Jun 24, 2004, 09:13 PM
Hello,

I've had a dual 2.0 G5 for months now. When I bought it, I hooked it up to my old G4 Studio Display Crt monitor. Weeks later, upon starting up, the monitor would fail to turn on and I would have to reset the G5 in order for the monitor to turn on. The problem persisted. I replaced the old one with a new G4 Studio Display Crt monitor. The problem is still around. I know other users who have the G5/studio display montior combination without any problems. Does anyone have a clue as to what might be wrong? I've corrected permissions, reset pram. Apple Care doesn't have a clue besides telling me to buy current monitor models. I do have an airport Extreme card that I've made sure was snuggly fitted into the compartment.

On the same note, for about one month (10.3.3 maybe), I would turn on the computer and startup wouldn't commence. Sometimes, I'd have to restart 3 times just to get the G5 going. Can anyone help? Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Sun Baked
Jun 24, 2004, 09:20 PM
The Grey VGA one or the Clear Grey Bubble ADC monitor?

There was a thread somewhere that talked about the various monitor problems people may encounter with the G5.

Don't know the link.

applewhore
Jun 24, 2004, 11:24 PM
It is the Grey VGA monitor. Thanks.

mr_mac
Jun 24, 2004, 11:50 PM
Computer related problem.

Try pushing the card properly in it's slot.

Also, try it with a different monitor (Not a apple Studio Display).

But i highly doubt the screen.

Mrmac

Sun Baked
Jun 24, 2004, 11:59 PM
ATI 9600 card?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=793082&postcount=3

applewhore
Jun 25, 2004, 03:01 AM
I've definitely pushed the Airport extreme card all the way in. If it wasn't, it would crash everytime I turned the airport off according to apple. I'd love to try it with a different monitor but finances doesn't give me that option at the moment. I highly doubt it is the screen as well. Just now, when I awoke the G5 from sleep mode, the monitor took about 30 seconds to awake and when it did, I had to restart it because the screen was heavily layered in these thick pixils ( I dont know how else to describe it). I have heard of numerous problems with another model, the 17" LCD Studio Display, but so far no other complaints about my model. I don't get it.

applewhore
Jun 25, 2004, 03:03 AM
Thanks SunBaked. I'll check out the Video Card.

Falleron
Jun 25, 2004, 04:15 AM
Hello,

I've had a dual 2.0 G5 for months now. When I bought it, I hooked it up to my old G4 Studio Display Crt monitor. Weeks later, upon starting up, the monitor would fail to turn on and I would have to reset the G5 in order for the monitor to turn on. The problem persisted. I replaced the old one with a new G4 Studio Display Crt monitor. The problem is still around. I know other users who have the G5/studio display montior combination without any problems. Does anyone have a clue as to what might be wrong? I've corrected permissions, reset pram. Apple Care doesn't have a clue besides telling me to buy current monitor models. I do have an airport Extreme card that I've made sure was snuggly fitted into the compartment.

On the same note, for about one month (10.3.3 maybe), I would turn on the computer and startup wouldn't commence. Sometimes, I'd have to restart 3 times just to get the G5 going. Can anyone help? Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

I have the exact same problem with an Apple monitor (17" CRT Studio) and a G5 (1.6Ghz - Geforce card I think).

Am interested in solutions.

The monitor is fully working - G5 runs fine with an NEC monitor. Apple monitor works fine with other OS X computers.

applewhore
Jun 25, 2004, 04:29 AM
Strange problem, Falleron. SunBaked has posted a link above that recommends resetting the PMU switch located below RAM modules. I've just reset mine. Though, I'm not sure If I pushed it correctly (it's stated not to push it twice). Otherwise, it looks like a problematic video card. I'm using the ATI 9600 card. If the card is defunct, you can call apple and tell them to replace it. You would want to cite Article 32473 from apple.com/support that says you don't receive video upon startup. Blast this mess.

Falleron
Jun 25, 2004, 06:53 AM
Strange problem, Falleron. SunBaked has posted a link above that recommends resetting the PMU switch located below RAM modules. I've just reset mine. Though, I'm not sure If I pushed it correctly (it's stated not to push it twice). Otherwise, it looks like a problematic video card. I'm using the ATI 9600 card. If the card is defunct, you can call apple and tell them to replace it. You would want to cite Article 32473 from apple.com/support that says you don't receive video upon startup. Blast this mess.
I have seen the same problem on about 6 G5's. Dont think its the card itself. Maybe a software driver glitch.

applewhore
Jun 27, 2004, 04:19 PM
Ok, strange. It's been two days since following the diretions in Sunbaked's link. So far, after resetting the PMU, I have not had a problem with the display starting up. But I'm still pessimistic. And, ofcourse, bad things happen to pessimistic people. So, we'll see how this holds.

applewhore
Jul 1, 2004, 03:27 AM
Though the G5/display had seen no issues upon startup for the past 4 days, the PMU reset procedure has failed to hold past this evening as I encountered the same problem. I'll test my luck with applecare and/or buy another brand of monitor.