Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brewerpaul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Clifton Park,NY
Until a couple of days ago, I'd check my AOL mail right on AOL in Safari as opposed to using the mail app built into the Touch. There are more options for "keep as new", "send to" etc. Worked like a charm every time.
Then as a routine security precaution, I updated my information on AOL (new address, phone #) and changed my password. Now I can't get my mail to load.
I can get to the main page of AOL and log in using my new password. My mail list shows the correct # of emails (which I've verified by checking my desktop computer), but clicking on the mail brings up a blank screen.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Any reason you're not using the mail app? My AOL accounts work fine using Mail. Easy to set up too.

Brewerpaul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Clifton Park,NY
The mail app does work fine, but as I mentioned, the AOL email makes it easier to "save as new" which I often do when I'm at work but want to take time to answer my mail when I get home.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
In trying AOL mail via safari on my Touch, I see it recognizes the Touch and gives a mobile interface. I was able to select AOL mail from that screen, and access my accounts after logging in. It worked fine for me. Sorry but I can't be any more help.

4D

Brewerpaul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Clifton Park,NY
Weird... as suddenly as it started, this has fixed itself. I'm thinking that maybe it was a temporary AOL problem, and not my Touch at all.

BENI

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
sos i don't know why some people can but u cant but it may be to do with new flash or java scripting that aol has updated the email program with. also i suppose it's possible that older generations of the itouch/iphone won't have or support the same java/flash script reading facilities as the newer ones. those two types of script have always been a problem for low power computers(which an itouch basically is) and internet capable phones to load. that is why youtube and stuff is so recent on phones compared to the original internet.

so definitely make sure ur ipod software is up to date (do that in itunes on the ipod page - just in case u didn't know).

i don't actually have an itouch or iphone but i have checked the email on my friends a long time ago. it was an old gen of itouch but it was also before aol started to muck around with their internet email system.

my dad had a compuserve email address (one of the original providers but very unusual now) he had it as a local program on his laptop for years and then suddenly it got incorporated into aol and he had to using the online system - it was very similar to the aol online email client. Round about then my aol page changed as well - loads more php code and other stuff i don't know how to recognize. since then it has changed twice again and i reckon they have changed a whole load of coding in their online client.

hope that helps some
probs helps more with why than any solution but good luck anyways
:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.